Tubeman I tubes and pots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had schematic for this pedal. If not, could some kind soul that has one possibly open it up and check the pot values for the mid, bass, treble and gain?

Why do I need this?

I replaced them using the "physical layout method", and my cat attacked them, thus scrambling my foolproof method... Doooh!!

I know this is a pain but thanks in advance.

BTW
changing the tubes if you decide to open it up is a good idea...

GT HG12AX7 sounds very nice and best overall balance, very lively, a little too early compression on Blues (1st place)
Tung-Sol reissue = tinny on HG and Blues but excellent for funk and country
60's Old RCA = good overall, a little dark for strats but just right HB
80's Sovtek W = good, not overly complex
80's Sovtek WGA = very good overall but a tad rough on top
80's Sovtek WGB = good
60's Amperex = good overall (2nd place)
Generic Sovtek = good

tom_dunham said:
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had schematic for this pedal. If not, could some kind soul that has one possibly open it up and check the pot values for the mid, bass, treble and gain?

Why do I need this?

I replaced them using the "physical layout method", and my cat attacked them, thus scrambling my foolproof method... Doooh!!

I know this is a pain but thanks in advance.

BTW
changing the tubes if you decide to open it up is a good idea...

GT HG12AX7 sounds very nice and best overall balance, very lively, a little too early compression on Blues (1st place)
Tung-Sol reissue = tinny on HG and Blues but excellent for funk and country
60's Old RCA = good overall, a little dark for strats but just right HB
80's Sovtek W = good, not overly complex
80's Sovtek WGA = very good overall but a tad rough on top
80's Sovtek WGB = good
60's Amperex = good overall (2nd place)
Generic Sovtek = good

My brother has one over at his Studio, I have been trying to pry it out of his hands for a couple years, If you do by chance locate a schematic, Please forward me a copy. That may have been the best unit ever produced!

Trout

BTW, he still has the re-labeled Hughes Kettner tube in his. It was my understanding that the original model ( the one he has) was a very limited production unit and less that 1000 where made.

Hi Trout,

My original tube was totally generic and I think it is a Sovtek 12AX7 b/c I have other Sovteks without markings that look very close: it think the Tubeman tube was glossier on some plates than the Sovtek. My guess is that Sovtek made the tube and probably custom for the application. I still have it - I'll take some pictures and post later.

I read your other post, the Tubeman I is a very good product and in my discussions H&K tech support (they had no schematic either), they said the Tubeman I was engineered around the '59 Bassman where as the new ones are more "Marshally" (? '59 Bassman again... but different) and that, like you, many customers prefer the old Tubeman to the new ones.

When I looked at the Tubeman II schematic, I noted the ratio of the pots, in terms of highest to lowest values, is the same as what I have so I believe I made a good guess and it does sound "right".

What I really want to do is break out the selector switch into stomp buttons with separate gains but I think I may be dreaming based on how picky the chasis grounding is. You can't take the unit apart and switch tubes - you have to put it all the way back together for it to run. I actually returned my first Tubeman under warranty b/c the pots were no good and then years later, I ordered replacement pots and a power supply hoping they had found a new supplier, which they had, and things have been much better in terms of scratchy pots. Actually, H&K gave me the pots for free when I bought the power supply.

I will definately forward a schematic if I get one!

After 2 years of twisting my brothers arm, It looks like I will be getting his in a couple weeks. He has decided to no longer use it, and besides, It will still be in the family.

I'll be heading over to his place during the upcoming holidays so as soon as I grab it, I will try to get good photos.

IIRC the tube in his is a Brimar CV4004 labeled HK. I'll have to re-confirm that since its been 6 months since I looked at it.

One thing certain, Those blew away the new ones easily.

Trout

Pictures!

I've included the inverse for clarity.

I think I will try an old Mullard ECC82... I'll post my impressions

Attachments

• tubeman-i-sovtek-inversion.jpg
    tubeman-i-sovtek-inversion.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 271
I gues the limitation to 100k is cumulative...

BTW ECC82 sounds really great - gives the pedal way more head room and makes the gain adjustment on Rock and Blues much more useful. Also, the pedal has noticably improved it's touch sensitivity. I think this is the best it has ever sounded.

Attachments

• tubeman-i-sovtek.jpg
    tubeman-i-sovtek.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 248
Piplefou,

About the pots, if you have decent soldering skills and a solder pump, the pots come right out. Once they're out you can see that they are just regular pots with a spacer collar and a bracket. IMO, you don't need the bracket but you do need the collar and you can fabricate them out of anything - Bic pen, copper tubing, whatever. I think they are like this: RV16AF-20-15K-A50K-3 Alpha (Taiwan) | Mouser

Wow, thanks for your quick and detailed reply to this message and the PM! This will help me a great deal. Although my soldering skills are not great, there's someone who can assist me with this.

As a keyboard player, I love having the ability to use some tube overdrive on some of the sounds I'm using. This Tubeman is a great tool for that, which prevents having to lug two amps to gigs. So I really like the suggestions you mention to get it in good shape again.

Hi,

I still have a question about the pots... do you recall whether you replaced them with shorter ones the second time? Because I can't seem to find pots with the same length of screwthread as the ones that are currently in my Tubeman!
(On the other hand, it may not matter that much, because there seems to be enough screwthread above the casing to attach the nut... But it may be difficult to attach the knob to the pot in that case...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.