Peavey 2000 Drawing huge amounts of current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a peavey 2000 a few days ago and it came in with the complaint of it smoking. so i got it, replaced the sacrificial triac. and a speachel qaulity ic i looked for any obvious troubles like shorted drivers, outputs, and diodes and the like. all seamed to be fine. i tunred it on slowly with just channel b in it with a variac it draws 5 amps at 100 volts with or with out a single through it. when i put a wave through it it put out a good sine wave. but ive fixed a few of these and never noticed it draw so much current. Then i was like well ok ill try channel a. so i did the same to it And it draws Huge amounts of current at about 20-35 volts it pulls 6-10 amps, but it puts out a nice sine wave . i know if i were to plug it in it would def blow. im really lost in this and have called peaveys tech support several times. they seamed to be stumped to. so please if any one on here knows any solution or has come across this problem before then give me some pointers or lead me to the right place to get some answers. Thanks

As far as I can tell, that was English. I don't know what language you are fluent in...

I would suggest trying to isolate the amp circuitry from the PSU and see if the fault lies at either place. It might be a blown voltage regulator though I couldn't see sinking five amps there. perhaps it is a short inside the transformer? Does the transformer hum or get hotter than usual?

You said that you made some changes to the amp; could you be more specific about those? Also, the previous customer complained of smoke? That means that there is heat. If you can try and replicate the fault condition safely... Unplug the amp and see where you could fry an egg. All those amps have to go somewhere!

Good luck

IIRC Peavey uses fixed bias in this amp, so check for an open diode in the bias string. you will get a nice sine wave, but the output stage running way too much current. Peavey's fixed bias usually sets the outputs right at cutoff (which results in some xover notch, but these amps are rarely run at low power). they should be drawing 10mA or less at idle.

He may have a shorted pre-driver in the output stage as well.

I dislike the habit of American young adults that deliberately use poor spelling, punctuation, grammar, syntax, etc.

As they said in times gone by:

"Get a haircut and get a real job"

unlike my

other friends and since happend to me before the first thing you do is to check the rectifier it could just as well be half blown and or leacky resulting drawing of so much current

to pevay amps happend to me twice so far

then i would disconenct both chanels power leads to make first sure that psu and trafo working properly .....(remember to discharge caps before reconnecting leads to boards !!!!!!!!)

use a lamp as a load and it has to be some ammount of watts cause in this way also you may evaluate how good is your elctrolytics ...... way to much voltage drop with or without load is hinch of capacitor problem ......

last there is a remote chance that you have a leacky trafo very litle chance to happen on pevay machine but possible especially if the amp has been running on some big pa possibly powered by genarators

regards sakis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.