adding aux's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I am new here and new to DIY music gear so I could really use some help. I have an Alesis 16 channel firewire board. It has 2 aux sends and returns. What problems would I have or is it feasible to open it up and copy those sends and returns to add about 6 more? I want to create independent mixes for the musicians when they are recording in my studio like we have at church. Thanks.

bodaddy said:
Hi I am new here and new to DIY music gear so I could really use some help. I have an Alesis 16 channel firewire board. It has 2 aux sends and returns. What problems would I have or is it feasible to open it up and copy those sends and returns to add about 6 more? I want to create independent mixes for the musicians when they are recording in my studio like we have at church. Thanks.

It really depends how it's all done, do you have a circuit diagram of the unit?. Assuming it's a simple anlogue mixer (with normal pots and opamps) then it should be pretty easy?. If it's all software and huge surface-mount processors than that's a different matter.

Thanks, that's a good question. I have not even opened it up yet. Since I'm new to the whole DIY electronics thing, I figured I would check with people that know if I'm going to screw something up by just duplicating the circuit or not. I'll open the case right now and find out what's in there. Thanks again.

Ok I just took a look and it's all circuit board. That really doesn't scare me because I've had to repair alot of automobile stuff but I was more concerned about the electrical ramifications. I really don't know much about electronics and what makes things do what.

Would I be better off just adding direct outs and then getting someone to make me a schematic for 8 inputs that would be set up just like the aux circuits? Thanks

Sorry for the triple post but it won't allow me to edit.

Ok here is the deal. I am new here and very thankful for finding this place. I have a band coming in to record and I know they will want their own mix. Plus that has been the only complaint about my little studio is that musicians don't have their own headphone mix. I am a full time student (again) and can't afford a good mix system. I am using an Alesis 16 channel firewire board with no direct outs. What I really need help with is how to build a signal splitter and a mix board similar to a Mackie hmx56. Is there anyone here willing to help me get this done. I will be forever in your debt. If there is an ounce of trust in anyone that can help, I will pay you for your trouble when the band pays me. I know that sounds hokie but I still was raised to be a man of integrity and I still believe that a man's word is a bond. I will buy all the parts and do all the work. You are welcome to email me if you need to, I'll even pay the dime for a phone call if necesary. Who knows, we might even be able to sell a few of these units. Please help. Thanks.

You really need to source the circuit diagram of the unit, it might be easy to do?, it might be impossible?.

A friend of mine recently bought a 24 channel Behringer mixer off Ebay, faulty, but he managed to repair it himself (just a pin broken off the plug from the seperate PSU). He brought it to me, and I modified the first eight channels for him, adding a direct line output (post fade) on each of the first eight channels - this was for direct connection to an eight channel input card on a PC.

That was fairly easy to do, the mixer was incredibly well made, and all analogue (with the exception of the effects unit) - so I easily managed it without a diagram

hello bodaddy and welcome to the forum
i dont want to sound negative its great to see someone with enthusiam to work on a project like this but there are a couple hard points that we must address before any such project is undertaken

1: You say you are a newbie to DIY electronics? thats ok, usually people will recomend that you try building a "Kit" or much simpler project before you tackle such a "Big" task. But dont worry this still may be able to be completed.

2: modifying a already existing circuit is a bit of a challange, it can be done, but with the amount of components/connectors/pots you would need to add, could cause quite a mess, let alone its just asking for problems.

2: What is your time frame? you mention a band will be in your studio shortly, i know personally that even with experience this is no afternoon quick fix project. I almost sounds like you need a monitoring station (just like the digitally controlled one i am currently designing ;) which is still in its early programming stages) a "simple" ( i use this word loosely because it means something different to all of us) analog mixing box with 8 inputs, 6 outputs and individual control for each of these inputs per output channel ( 8 x 6 = 46 knobs) could be built and is actually what i was working on before i decided to go digital (dont ask why, its a long story haha) it could be an external box which would take the input signal (from guitar, di box, line etc...) and be varied on each output channel via any one of the 6 output volume controls. on the input there wold also be a "thru" or bypass connector which would plug directly into your mixers input and would not affect its levels or tone in any way. The circuit would consist of simple opamp circuits and not be to complex, just include lots of the same circuit repeated. I would be willing to work with you, make circuit boards, write up schematic etc... But this will not be a 1 or 2 week project for me realistically in order to get all the parts and boards made it would take me a month or 2. If you can deal with that PM me and maybe we can work something out, musical instrument electronics is my passion and i love doing this stuff (when my GF is not yelling atme to pay attention to her lol)

sorry for the long post i cant sleep and need somehting to do :)

Just my 2 cents hope it helps

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.