DIY guitar, pics and link

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey people!... Just doing a bit of showing off:

head1_low_bw.jpg

neck2_low_bw.jpg

URL with full info and more photos

What do you guys/girls reckon?

Comments and criticisms, recommendations, questions and suggestions?

At the moment I'm mainly trying to improve and add more information about the guitar to my webpage, so that it's more accessible and DIY-able.

The angle of your first fret is very strange. I'd guess the nut is quite
high ? to cause this with your by ear fret alignment, but I'm now also
guessing you cannot optimise the action by lowering the nut slots ?

Yup, sort of! By the time I realised that I could've angled the nut differently to compensate, it was too late.

I don't think the height of the action is too bad though – the strings hover about 1mm above the first fret. What I think at least partly caused the problem was that the nut uses 5mm long grooves so the strings can't pivot, they have to bend.

I'll write it up :cool:

What the...

From the RKS website:

The I-Bass is a four- or five-string, fretted electric bass guitar based upon the patented "Open Architecture" for which the company has rapidly become known.

Well I'm glad the guitar body attachments will be firmly bolted or glued to the main part, unlike: hot-swappable hard drives, cellphone face plates, software skins, modular Danish furniture, or Playboy bunny ears. I wouldn't want to accidentally infringe on anyone's hard-earned patented inventions! :bigeyes:

Mind you, it does look pretty cool! I should make something similar, but instead of a removable body it'll have a removable neck! ;)

FastEddy said:
Here is something I found while reading "Machine Design" magazine ... http://rksdesign.com/ & http://rksdesign.com/index.php?page=gallery_a ... chekout the bass: http://rksdesign.com/index.php?page=ga/gallery5

:smash:

You'd think with their obvious design talent they could come up with a name that isn't a direct rip-off of I-pod. It has to be white like an I-pod, too? Gimme a break! I getting so sick of I-this and I-that crap. It's worse than those stupid I:hbeat:whatever bumper stickers that everyone had to have on their cars in the 80s, often accompanied by the "baby on-board" tags. People are such sheep!

I swear I'm going to start carrying scissors around and start snipping wires every time I see white ear phones.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to my I-Fridge get a tall, cool glass of I-milk.

I_F

Re: ipods...

As with any fad I think it'll certainly pass. A meteorite will hit Apple's R&D H.Q.... an executive will get busted for snorting cocaine... or whatever. So anything that somehow relies on the popularity of Apple's branding will be affected.

True innovation wins out in the long run. :devilr:

" ... you'd think with their obvious design talent they could come up with a name that isn't a direct rip-off of I-pod. ..." The suits at the Monday morning meetings make up these names ... believeing that is all they need to contribute to justify their jobs.

Re: iPods/Apple ... they got busted for stock manipulations and I made a nice piece of change from the market swings 'tween $85 and $95 ... now the stock is US$110 ... should have kept it. That iPod is not going away and neither will their next generation audio / video system nor will iTunes disappear. iTunes is the next big hope for those of us seeking better digital audio. The EMI deal = 24 bit/96K as used in the pro-studios is the new benchmark standard for quality, so it does matter about the quality of output of your guitar ... "CDs suck ..." - Bob Dylan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.