Cello-bodied stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is probably the wrong forum for this but...

A few people have seen the Verve Remixed 3 album cover, as there is a picture posted in a thread from 2005. I know this because I have searched the posts, but said thread had no info on the device. If you have seen it, do you have any idea what that cello/bass bodied thing is? If not, try looking it up on amazon.com or something similar to get a picture. Or I'll try and include it with this post.

Pretty cool looking isn't it?

Ok, I'm not an EE, an audiophile, or anything remotely similar, but I am pretty good at putting complex things together. I'm also an ace at the soldering iron thanks to my avionics background. I saw this album cover the other day in a bookstore and I just have to build something similar. I don't want a music-making setup, like it appears to be, but rather a home audio... thing.

I found a very cheap and rather abused cello on the web just looking for a new home, and I've been searching the web for hours trying to find the album cover thing. I've also been looking into what kind of components would need to be crammed into it.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be much appreciative.

Thanks,

NH

Attachments

• ververemixedthing.jpg
    ververemixedthing.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 206
Hi,
You'll need to decide on what sound quality you're after. Obviously you wouldn't get an amazing sound from such an enclosure but maybe you would want it to sound as nice as possible, especially if you are putting a lot of effort into the case.

The simplest method would be to install a car stereo into the front and use with some car speakers of your choice. This could be powered by a decent 12 - 13 Volt power supply. The advantage of this would be in it's simplicity and the source CD/Tape/Radio being included with the amp and elegant controls.

Full range speakers could be used instead if you want a cleaner look and a different sound perhaps. IF you want to get the same look as the album cover then you would have to source individual drivers and construct a suitable crossover to split the frequencies to the relevant driver. A cheat would be to scrap an old set of 2 or 3 way speakers and use the original crossover. You would lose some efficiency here because your are using a crossover.

Another option would be something like a class D amp like maybe a Sonic impact T-amp. These are generally quite cheap and very efficient and class D amps can even be bought as kits if you like. This would require you to decide on a separate source. You could always make a recessed 'dock' for an iPod or similar. It may be difficult to control a regular CD player from the front.

One of the problems that will need to be addressed is the possibility of the cello/bass resonating at certain frequencies although it may add to the sound. Who knows? You could alleviate this with adequate bracing.

I like your plan though. I bet it will look great!

I'm not an expert but the picture looks a bit too big to be a cello. I know that double bass come in different sizes though.

What source are you planning to use?

Regards,
Martin.

choices

Thanks for responding!

Huh, never thought of the car stereo option. Part of this might be that I can't find a car stereo that is visually appealing to me. I am basically looking to make something similar in appearance, but perhaps less complex. There is a Marvac electronics a couple blocks from where I live, so I was going to pick-up a voltmeter or two and wire them in. Also, I am hoping to find some good looking hardware like knobs and bezels and such. I figure if I am going to go to the trouble of making such an unusual looking system, it ought to look good as well.

I have a dresser full of vacuum tubes, and I tooled about on the web with a tube-amp style system in mind. Then I figured I could tackle that later down the road, as I don't really fancy scratch building components. Perhaps they could be included aesthetically for the time being. A kit does seem like a good idea though. I'll have to look into those class D's. Any suggestions?

As far as speakers are concerned, I had thought of using car audio speakers, but I am looking at this pair of Sanyo V6-150's sitting unused in my garage... The body resonance issue had crossed my mind, but I figured I'd have to reinforce the face to hold a speaker cluster securely anyways. Maybe having speaker enclosures within the body and/or lots of sound battening will work.

For a CD player, I am thinking of finding and scrapping one of those glass-faced shelf stereo's. You know, the ones that have a glass panel covering the CD so you can see it spin and all that. That way it would be easy to access. I forget who makes them, but they were popular a few years back, so a cheap used one should be pretty easy to find. The problem with this is that I still have to find a controller, a tuner, and all the other components unless I use the whole exsisting system just grafted into the body.

Ha, I always find these lofty projects to take up all my time. You should see the forge and anvil I have out back, and all the stuff I've made with it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.