J. Donald Tillman's JFET Preamp Cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been lurking in this and other guitar/electronics forums for a while now (having been too busy with exams and university applications to actually build something).

A while ago I noticed this:

http://www.till.com/articles/PreampCable/

and bookmarked it for later. On first reading it seemed like a really good idea, as I like to use a long guitar lead because I cant stand still!

*gets to the point*
Is it actually as useful as it sounds? Has anyone built this? Has anybody implemented any of the changes suggested towards the end of the article?

Thank you for any help you can give, I dont like to sponge from a community like this too much!

I would suggest it's a device for a 'non-guitarist', rather than a 'guitarist' - everything form a guitarists point of view is to get a particular 'sound'. It will give a better match to the guitar, and to the preamp - but this will change the sound, probably for the worse (if you're a guitarist) - but from a technical point of view, it's an improvement.

I have something simular Inside my Guitar as Active electronics, actually it is probably pretty much the exact same curcuit accept for a couple very small changes......

It really doesn"t do a Lot accept add a slight bit of Tubesque Distortion when you hit really hard on the strings and doesn"t really add any Gain....For the type of music I play it actually sounds good and suits it but the sound is quite subtle.....

There are a Lot of other Curcuits that are only a bit more complex that will sound much better....Check out "DIYStompboxes.com" and they have a whole plethora of Guitar/Bass Curcuits some of which are small enough to build into your Guitar or to build into a Guitar effects pedal.....

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.