any electric bass players? im building a bass guitar cab - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2007, 06:16 AM   #1
KOA is offline KOA  United States
diyAudio Member

Default any electric bass players? im building a bass guitar cab

im buildar a bass guitar cab for my friend who currently has an ampeg BXT-115HL4. would it be benefical to have a full range( up to 9k) type bass guitar cab using a phl 5200 15inch woofer and selenium 1 inch compression driver? vs his current cab which i think has an eminance omega pro-15a 15inch woofer and some little eliptical or exponential flare horn tweeter crossed in at 6k. so i have a couple compression drivers and a couple horns in mind. one compression driver is good from 500hz to 9k and the other is good from 2k to 20kand i wanted to know what you guys think of any combination of these horns and compression drivers. i already have the phl on the way. links:

phl woofer
http://www.phlaudio.com/datasheets/38_pdf/5050_5200.pdf

option one selenium phenolic compression driver
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-202.pdf

option 2 selenium titanium compression driver
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-235.pdf

option one horn
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=270-099&DID=7

option two horn
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=270-302

any advice, suggestions, or questions welcome.

thanks
koa
Old 18th March 2007, 12:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you fit a tweeter, make sure you fit a switch on it - many bass players prefer the sound without the tweeter, and such cabs commonly have switches on them. But most bass cabs probably don't include tweeters at all.
Old 18th March 2007, 03:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Tell your friend to check out Avatar's Speaker cabinet. I own a couple of his guitar cabinets and they are very nice quality. The bass cabinets that he sells has a tweeter with crossover and volume control and they are really inexpensive.

Old 18th March 2007, 06:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Maybe you could try to build a Bill Fitzmaurice cab, like the Omni15, with an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF, MR8A, ASD1001 and Selenium horn.

Mine is just finished (today !) :

Click the image to open in full size.

Amazing !
Old 18th March 2007, 09:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks for the suggestions. i definitely will put on a switch for the tweeter. gotta think about horn loading the woofer. i guess the switch would turn off the tweeter and bypass the lowpass on the woofer. i haven't decided whether im going to lowpass the woofer or run it full range and use a higher shallower crossover on the tweeter. that would make the switching slightly easier. most likely going with a bass reflex just for cosmetics and ease of construction. the two 15 box looked cool but a harder to transport. the portability was of moderate to high concern thus the single 15.
Old 18th March 2007, 11:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

do you guys think i should go with the phenolic compression driver and keep the dispersion wide on the woofer but lose above 9k or should i go with the titanium compression driver and compromise dispersion on the woofer using it up to 1.5-2k and the tweeter from 2k up to 20k?
Old 19th March 2007, 11:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KOA
thanks for the suggestions. i definitely will put on a switch for the tweeter. gotta think about horn loading the woofer. i guess the switch would turn off the tweeter and bypass the lowpass on the woofer. i haven't decided whether im going to lowpass the woofer or run it full range and use a higher shallower crossover on the tweeter. that would make the switching slightly easier. most likely going with a bass reflex just for cosmetics and ease of construction. the two 15 box looked cool but a harder to transport. the portability was of moderate to high concern thus the single 15.
You wouldn't normally bother low-passing to the bass unit, just a high-pass to the tweeter - so it only needs a simple single pole switch.

It's rare to have horn loading on a bass guitar cab, they are usually just reflex - size and weight are usually pretty important!.
Old 19th March 2007, 10:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

yeah i just got the driver today so we are going to take it down to genesis advanced technologies and get it tested so we can make the appropriate crossover.
Old 20th March 2007, 03:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KOA
yeah i just got the driver today so we are going to take it down to genesis advanced technologies and get it tested so we can make the appropriate crossover.
You don't think you're over complicating this?, it's NOT a HiFi speaker, it's for a musical instrument - you're not looking to get a flat frequency response - chuck it in a box and play a bass through it and see how it sounds!.
Old 20th March 2007, 04:18 PM   #10
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Bass-Rig.html

Hi, see c/o details, /sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!