Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2008, 07:25 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Ragnar, just been on your homepage and I've seen some very nice builds there,,, shame I can't read slovak,,, but my congrats never the less.

I see you have much fun in etching copper,,,
Me myself I just bought a shipload of turrets,,, that should do for the next 3-4 amps,,, I'm in love with point to point builds,,,

Also, are you on SLOclone? it's a nice place and I guess you should like it given your interest in building higain amps,,,

BTW, what cab you usin with the SVT head? and do you have any clip of that?
Old 2nd August 2008, 08:13 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ragnar
thanks, well, I do etch boards myself only if it fits A4 paper, that`s the size of blue foil I use to transfer the board layout right onto the board, which I have to design in eagle. I don`t 100% copy any of the amp I build, i try to define my own sound heh.
Well, I know that soldano is some kind of clone to the MB recto, but I prefer that recto, I played on some builds of SLO, but I didn`t like the sound, it more fits rock than extreme metal, but anyway, KranKs are my beloved onces
I don`t use some special kind of cabinet with that amp, my friend borrowed me a 1x12" bass cab once and it kinda sound quite good with it, I`m not a bassman, I just play bass, record with it, but I`m a guitarist on the first place .
Of course, I used to make amps with p2p style, but for hi-gain, it tend to generate oscilations and signal noise, I fell in love with combination on PCB and tubes , it takes some time to design the board, but after that it`s worth it.
cheers
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:45 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I got quite some questions, especially about the pcb oscillation thing, but I don't wanna go off topic anymore.

I'll just say that if you think sloclone is just for the slo you're deffo wrong,,, there's a section called 'other noteworthy amps' that has two or three things to teach everybody
oh, there's also a nice krank thread you might like,,,
Old 3rd August 2008, 03:43 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

yeah I know about that, I just mentioned I don`t like soldano as an amp, nothing more..
as for the oscilations, I meant things like when tho absolutely different signal busses runs along each other, it might interfere and so it would probably enerate signal noise, thats why I use to fill up empty places on baord with ground signal therefore many of the signals stay "sealed" and oscilations have much lower chance to generate themselves. As long as gaps between signals stay adequatly big, I won`t thing about parasitic capacities and so a tone suck.
that`s all from me for this one, sory for the OT .
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:34 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Ragnar,

What are the parameters of this famous mid frequency selector in Ampeg? I couldn't find it.

Mark
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:07 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

heh, I can`t now remebmer it precisely, but I remeber a number 800, so the inductance of the coil should be 800mH....but I`m sure that on one forum I found even percentage of that taps for 5 selections...
Old 8th August 2008, 08:05 PM   #27
jbrew73 is offline jbrew73  United States
diyAudio Member

0-100-300-800 its on the svt-vr schematic. i've seen it on some older schematics also.
Old 9th August 2008, 08:00 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Yes, that`s it, but on Pro series I remember a 5 pole switch, but, the inductance is 800mH for sure...but if somebody want`s to dial some different taste, coil can be still rewinded although winding it again and again manualy is quite a work heh.
Old 10th August 2008, 07:23 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I was thinking about replacing the inductance with gyrator OpAmp. But still, this would be a very difficult project. Ragnar, would you like to share the board? And how different is your preamp from the original?

Mark
Old 10th August 2008, 09:21 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

hm, there`s no more boards, because my dead harddisk took them away, and only two circuits back-uped on flash key was rescued , I won`t start any project now untill I`ll buy a new PC.
Anyway, this preamp wasn`t 100% original, as I designed the board, I also made some upgrades and modifications to it until it was finished, I reduced number of midrange switches frof 5 to 3, added som extra RCs, and some of the other parts vaues changed, especialy caps and resistors, to slightly calm down the drive, which was a little bit too high for me if maxed...
that`s how avery project ends until it is absolutely finished, modding till death .
but even if thats preamp look`s difficult, if made on pcb, it will look more simple when done...

Hide this!Advertise here!