Gallien-Krueger 2100 SEL - need two Mosfet transistors - advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

My amp tech has told me that he can breathe life into my old GK 2100SEL guitar amp if I can find two of each of the following Mosfet transistors:

2SK413
2SJ118

These were made by Hitachi, if I recall correctly. They seem to be hard to find, at least in order of less than 5000 pieces (mind you I need two of each).

Any ideas where I might find these in this small a quantity, or could anyone recommend replacements which will work?

I have some indication that the IXYS 16N50P (500v @ 16a) could be a suitable replacement for the 2SK413 (160v @ 8a) but what other tweaks would be needed to accommodate it?

Similarly I heard that the Vishay IRF9640PBF-ND could work for the 2SJ118, but again this is a bit complex for my little brain.

Thanks!

These MOSFETs are long out of production, unfortunately. You might want to search the forum, though, i recall someone having about 20 pairs and asking what to do with them, a while ago - maybe he could sell you some.
It should be possible to use toshiba pardts 2SJ201 2SK1530 instead, without modification. The input capacitances are higher but this should generally not be a problem. It is possible (depending on the power supply) you could get away with using only one pair of each instead of two pairs of the originals. Keep in mind the replacements are in a different case (slightly larger) so check if it will fit the heatsink - you might need to make new mounting holes.

In terms of electrical characteristics, 2SK1529 and 2SJ200 come very close, but the Vgs is about 2V lower, so it depends on the circuit. You will most certainly need to readjust bias voltage. (The same applies incidentally also to 2SK1530 / 2SJ201 suggested above.) Mechanically they should be one-to-one compatible. 2SK1530 is larger in size.

Datasheets are available for 2SK413 / 2SJ118. Please google.

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/search.php?q=2SK413&sType=part

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/search.php?q=2sj118&sType=part&ExactDS=Starts

For similar Vgs, you could consider IRFP240 / IRFP9240. The capacitances are about twice as high. Otherwise also pin and size compatible.

Please please check for yourself to be sure.

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.