Toroid transformer in Hartke HA3500a dead - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2007, 04:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Spiderbass
Default Toroid transformer in Hartke HA3500a dead

Hello

I have a little problem

I buy a Hartke HA3500a with a dead toroid transformer ( i have this information before i buy ) and i try to find a equivalent, but it's not really easy because secondary is not very standard

WP/QCI T20073935030 TOP CHEERS

59v -0- 59v
0-189v
0-10.9v
23.4v -0- 23.4v

I think it's possible to use more than one transformer, but it take more space...

Before this model ( HA3500a ) hartke not use toroid transformer for the standard model 3500.

It's very strange because all fuse are OK, but the transformer smoke.

Any idea, experiences about that ? Thanks a lot !
Old 17th February 2007, 02:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

One of the windings must be shorted on the secondary side. Maybe the HV for the tube. that would cause smoke but not enough current drawn to blown the fuse.

Zc
Old 4th March 2007, 09:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Try and find the French Distributor for Hartke - in the UK it is Sound Technology - and they are very good at supplying spares.

This will probably be cheaper and a lot better than trying to make 2 separate transformers fit into the available space!
Old 31st March 2007, 11:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ragnar
I would consider a custom made tranny with the exact parameters as were the original onces...
Old 1st April 2007, 09:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Hartke HA3500a is still a currently available model - spares will be available from your distributor - talk of custom winding a transformer is madness.....!
Old 1st April 2007, 06:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Audio
The Hartke HA3500a is still a currently available model - spares will be available from your distributor - talk of custom winding a transformer is madness.....!
It all depends how expensive the original tx is - I had a BIG row with Sony a few years back over a tx in a 100W+100W amplifier.

Going from the size of the toroid it wasn't big enough, probably only a 120W rated transformer?, and it had overheated and blown the internal heatfuse. The amplifier itself had space for a much larger transformer, and had presumably been designed for such - and had probably been cut-down during production.

Anyway, the original transformer was 120+vat at trade price!, a suitable replacement (and of the larger more correct size) from RS Components (who aren't cheap) was only 18+vat.

BTW, the row with Sony went on for months, they wouldn't acknowledge that the transformer was far too small for the job, or even tell me what the wattage rating of the transformer was - they would only say they have had very few failures!!.
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Spiderbass
Thanks for all answer

I try to find a new one before try to use 2 or 3 transformer

Hide this!Advertise here!