Soundcraft Studio 24 Mixer problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a problem with my mixer...

On 3 or 4 channels I don't hear any audio coming out of the channel unless I crank up the channel input gain knob all the way to max.

So I could have for example a cd player connected to one of the faulty channels but will not hear any output until I turn the input gain all the way to max, once I've turned it to max I can then get a signal even after it's turned back down until I power off the mixer until next time, where this problem re-occurs.

Has this ever happen to anyone else???

On three or 4 channels you have a problem? You don't have a pad depressed do you? Are the rest of the channels supplying normal output?

Take the CD player input into the 1/4 line jacks on the rest of the channels with the input control set the same on all of them and check to see that there are not any pads depressed. Set the sliders all to the same level and input the output of the CD player into all the channels noting the output level of each channel.
Note* For the sake of checking use only on channel from the CD player for example the right channel and do the test.

If you end up with low level outputs on any of the channels they are indeed in need of repair. This is not uncommon for this or any other mixer. I have repaired 100's of channels of this mixer and others. I doubt very much it will be a dirty input control but to check turn the control while noting the output level and check the display and see if the level changes correctly or if you loose it.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
burnedfingers said:
I have repaired 100's of channels of this mixer and others. I doubt very much it will be a dirty input control but to check turn the control while noting the output level and check the display and see if the level changes correctly or if you loose it.

I have repaired a few channels of them myself, and have always found the input pots to be a weak link. I wonder if the US version used a different pot?

Foxx510 said:
I think what he is describing is that the channel needs to be "kick started" with a really high level to get the crook connection/component to come good, after which the channel is ok for a while.

Thats EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Everything else on the desk is perfect it's just the above, I have connected everything properly and all the volumes and other inputs work fine.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will get the desk checked this week as I have been away for a while.

PS

I also have another desk Soundcraft Ghost 32 LE, one of the channels has a much lower output than all of the others, does anyone have any idea what the problem could be???

Does that desk have channel insert jacks? Maybe their shorting contacts need some cleaning. If there are flat wire cables (Connector board or mixing bus) involved you should also check these, as they tend to develop contact problems between the wires and connectors after some time. You can determine this by slightly pushing and pulling the cable near the connectors. This is a typical problem for these connections - they work for a while after after being kickstarted with higher levels. Many people who own first revision Mackie 1604 Mixers have to face this, but there are lots of other brands too. I saw Focusrite, Allen&Heath etc. gear where only exchange of the ribbon cables (or soldering the wire directly to the terminals) helped.
peace
georg

Hi georgK

On the studio 24 I'll have to check it out properly, I haven't had a chance as of yet :(

I didn't check the Ghost in different modes (it's in storage), will get that check next time I hook it up too.

Thanks to everyone who has given their input on this matter so far.

OK,

I changed the input pots and a 10v 1000uf cap + 2 smaller 10v 100uf caps in the gain section (these are the only caps there) and Problem Solved :)

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and much needed help with the Soundcraft Studio 24.

If anyone has a similar problem I hope that this thread helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.