Just bought a new guitar - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2006, 12:46 AM   #1
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Default Just bought a new guitar

Hey guys, I was wondering what you thought, I just recently bought this guitar. Supposed to be here Saturday. I'm excited, I really liked the way Phill makes his guitars. The styles are a bit strange, but I prefer form over function. I was so unhappy with the Gibsons I own, and I couldn't find a new PRS I liked. I looked at tons of guitars, and this, especially for the price, just looked very intresting.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th November 2006, 03:10 AM   #2
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

That just looks awesome!

Lots of knobs there.....

May we know the price?

I would also not want to bump myself on those sharp corners... looks pretty sensitive to damage too....
Old 13th November 2006, 08:25 PM   #3
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
No I don't mind the price, I think it was a bargain. That guitar is from Phil Gawen at www.phigaguitars.com. He makes really nice guitars for the money. I payed 1200 dollars shipped for that guitar. He saves money on his guitars by using mostly korean made hardware, making the hardware himself, and winding his own pickups. I have to say though, don't be turned off by the idea of korean made hardware, I own both, and often the korean stuff is as good or better for less money. Anymore the big names are often making junk for tuners and bridges. I have Gotoh's on my Gibson, which are among the best for the money I have used, and these no-names on my Phiga are good as well, they are a lacking style that work wonderful, and hold a great tune.

The sharp corners are actually slightly rounded over and aren't sharp at all. Its a very figured guitar with a great deal of shaping to the top of it, but its very comfortable to play. I'm not overly concerned with damage, but I also take maticulous care of my guitars.

The pickups are nice, he winds them himself. I'm not 100% sold on them yet, but they sound better than most of the import pickups I have heard. I also like them better than current Gibson PAFs. They are of the higher output modern nature, and I've always been a bit of a vintage fan myself. I'm undecided, but I might try one vintage wound humbucker in the neck position later on to give me the ability to have atleast one more mellow setup. I haven't played the guitar enough to know it needs that.
Old 13th November 2006, 08:59 PM   #4
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It's quite a bargain for such a jewel, but I pay more for drum stuff because I prefer playing drums.. But at home I play guitar, The attached picture shows my humble "music man" clone.

I borrowed a guitar for a while from a friend in the past, I really loved it it was a Hondo. A Gibson epiphone copy with smooth jazz strings, very nice sound and good "feel" to it. My present guitar feels to small in many ways.

I've read that Chinese and Taiwanese guitars are excellent quality these days. The really mastered it, mostly producing with high precision computer controlled machining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gitaar.jpg (55.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 13th November 2006, 09:41 PM   #5
5u4 is offline 5u4  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the neck inlays, kinda reminds me of "Crop Circles".

About the same price as my "used" Custom Shop Strat.

This guy bought it brand new & after a couple days decided he wanted something else. It was absolutely brand new condition when I bought it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-034s.jpg (39.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 14th November 2006, 01:30 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

This is a DIY site. Suggest you head off towards Harmony-Central.com .

/sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!