hammond M111

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to repair a tonewell machine and I try to measure signal from tonewll generator but signal is very low with a scope I had more noise than signal but the organ works, is it normal?

The question...on both keyboard there is a note B that does not sound '' rich '' like missing a few harmonics and if I use drawbars setup on the third drawbar I have no contribution or if I use the third drawbar alone I have no sound.....

I try to figure out the logic of the switching but I confused .....the machine is quite elaborate and I dont want to put it apart in small pieces......

Made a new test.

If I understand the circuit signal is comming from somewere by a colored wire to the back of the drawbar on the mobile slide so I disconect the orange wire from the third drawbar and connect it to the second drawbar ( after removing the red wire ) now the problem is on the second drawbar so the drawbar '' mixer function '' works but I dont recive signal on orange wire, is that the case ?

does somebody know ?

There is a hammond organ discussion site. In any case, you might have luck w/questions with them. Am pretty sure you can find it w/google or similar site. I have an 'E' series hammond organ and found a lot of info through them. In my opinion, they are worth keeping/saving/restoring....unless one has to move to a smaller house. Good Luck.

audiofan said:
I am trying to repair a tonewell machine and I try to measure signal from tonewll generator but signal is very low with a scope I had more noise than signal but the organ works, is it normal?

The question...on both keyboard there is a note B that does not sound '' rich '' like missing a few harmonics and if I use drawbars setup on the third drawbar I have no contribution or if I use the third drawbar alone I have no sound.....

I try to figure out the logic of the switching but I confused .....the machine is quite elaborate and I dont want to put it apart in small pieces......

Third drawbar = 8' ?

If you pull out just the 16' drawbar and play the B an octave above does that tone sound? Or if you pull out only 4' and play the B an octave below?

There is a bus for each drawbar under the keys, and each key has a contact for each drawbar bus. The key contacts are connected by resistors or resistance wire to the tone generator outputs i think.

If the problem is just for that key and that drawbar it's probably the contact or wire for that key that is broken.

Your comment that the note 'does not sound '' rich '' like missing a few harmonics' leads me to believe that that notes generator capacitor is bad. All but a few generator electromagnets have a capacitor shunted across them to filter some of the higher harmonics (hash). The problem is that as those caps age, they actually get larger in value and filter "to well" (if you will). It's not unusual in an older organ to perform a complete generator recap job. Check out: http://www.goffprof.com/shopping.jsp?p=51 for a capacitor kit.
Also, there are a lot of good folks that can help you out at "The Hammond Forum": http://www.zeni.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/hammond.

audiofan said:
Yes, its normal.
audiofan said:
You can hear that some times, due to drawbars settings and internal mixture settings
audiofan said:
Do you have schematics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.