DIY guitar amplifier cabinet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2002, 05:40 PM   #1
Gabster is offline Gabster  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default DIY guitar amplifier cabinet

Hi,

I was looking at some 4x12" marshall cabinets recently and I realized how simply they are built. Furthermore, I consider that bolting 4 speakers into a square box shouldn't give the best audio performances.

Considering Celestion's speaker frequency range (about 75Hz-5kHz), the air column should be more than a meter long.

Therefore, my goal is to build a 1x12" (maybe 2x12") cabinet for my 100W combo marshall. I'm new to loudspeaker building and I would need someone to set my on track. What should I read? What software should I use? etc.

best regards,
Gabriel
Old 10th December 2002, 06:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Gabriel

Guitar speakers are not designed to give a flat even response, and if they do so it's purely accidental!

Guitar is all about tone, and this is achieved by drastic EQing, peaky speakers, amp overdrive and cone breakup, all anathema to Hi-Fi.

Thus there is no real software that can be used to calculate this, it is all a matter of doing things by ear.

Yes, Marshall cabs are simple, but they have been the sound of rock for over 30 years, and if that is the sound you are after, then just clone one, and this will work well with your idea of a 2x12" cab. Other than that, most smaller combo amps use open backed cabs, so if you prefer the sound of a Fender Twin, for instance, thats the way you should be going!

You will find that most good music stores will supply replacement speakers for any of the reputable makes of amp, as guitarists have a habit of blowing them up, so any copy you make could use origional speakers as well, ( although this may be more expensive than rolling your own)

So, go out and listen to guitar amps and boxes you like, take some seruptitious measurements of your favorite, and make a clone
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 11th December 2002, 12:34 AM   #3
Gabster is offline Gabster  Canada
diyAudio Member

Excellent reply, thanks.
Old 11th December 2002, 01:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

No problem
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 9th January 2003, 12:15 AM   #5
tmc is offline tmc
diyAudio Member

hi,,,,,,,,,
I'm also a guitarist that uses combo amps ( two in my stage rig)
And also was caught in the quandry over adding a 4x12 into the mix, mainly to cut down the feedback from the microphones due to the open back combos......( but then i remembered lugging those monsters around !!!!!!!!!!) (UGH!)
I finally decided to measure the cabinet space of the combo and build a non ported copy....it also can be used to elevate your existing combo,,,,(well there are several ways to use them )
Any way, hope you figure things out....as usual in the music arena there are a vast array of choices..........
Good luck!
Old 9th January 2003, 01:34 AM   #6
JBL is offline JBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JBL
Just one point you will generaly want to make open backed cabinet. Thsi is to prevented peaky bass respons wich make guitar sound weird.

Althought that some sealed configuration could sound good but...

And thus the best configuration is actually bolting 4 speaker in a box.
Old 9th January 2003, 01:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Althought that some sealed configuration could sound good but...
Not a fan of the Marshall Rawwwk sound then JBL?
Old 9th January 2003, 02:27 AM   #8
JBL is offline JBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JBL
I'm not a guitar player but being with them all the time you get to know stuff(especially when your in diy audio).

So no i'm not really a fan of marshall sound. But some marshall stuff sound good.

Hide this!Advertise here!