King of Instruments and Vented Boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, Thiele made the transforms from mechanical impedances to electrical ones -- but the real inventor of bass reflex speakers seems to be Padre Joseph de Echevarria who in 1659 "enclosed a three-stop seven-rank organ in a prototypical swell enclosure" -- discussed in "Understanding the Pipe Organ, Origin of the Swell Box" -- by Sebastian Gluck, part of a series which runs in The American Organist (July 2006). Perhaps Martin could come down from Upstate NY and opine (if he hasn't been washed away in the floods)

Gluck is a famous pipe organ restorer in NYC, Glück Orgelbau -- here's a link to his site: www.glucknewyork.com.

And speaking of "The King of Instruments" -- www.pipedreams.org

Perhaps Martin could come down from Upstate NY and opine (if he hasn't been washed away in the floods)

Floods did not get me, but I have never seen the Mohawk river run as high as it did late last week. Several islands with trees on them completely disappeared. One morning the water was close to the bottom of the bridge I cross going to work.

The organ stuff sounds interesting. I don't know much about organs or how they work internally. But anything that results in a standing wave making big noise has my attention.

Hmmmm ... "opine", is that something you eat and does it go well with beer? Remember that you are dealing with an engineer who maintained a solid sub 2.0 average in his undergraduate liberal arts course requirements. Ya gotta keep them words simple. (Seriously, I know what opine means .... I looked it up in the dictionary just now! I only found it because I knew how to spell it. I'll have to use that word on the guys at work.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.