How about this speaker for guitar amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In a recent thread poobah and quasi mentioned Celestion speakers for guitar amplifiers. The price is a bit much for me at the moment.

I have found these two speakers at Yebo Electronics close to me.

Their prices is a bit more doable. From looking at their specs, does anyone think they'll work?

Poobah?
Quasi?

Well, they'll probably work, but not very well. First of all, the efficiency is way below what typical guitar speakers have, so you won't get the sound pressure you'd expect. Second, a guitar speaker usually has a rather uneven frequency response, so a Hi-fi speaker such as these seem to be will probably sound quite dull.

For that kind of money you're not likely to find anything particularly interesting.

However, have a look at the Eminence drivers, in particular Eminence Beta 10, since you're in to 10" drivers.

Rune

That Celestion should do you fine.

Your first link above wasn't too bad either because it was listed as "infinite baffle". But, as Rune pointed out, it is lacking sensitivity.

Guitar amps speakers will trade off flat response and other things for efficiency and durability... you want that. Doesn't HAVE to be Celestion, but as Nigel points out, listed for guitar amp duty is good... look 94-95 dB and up.

After all this... get yourself a LINE6 effects pod... you'll have about 30 different amps at your disposal. You could screw around with a tube input stage... but the LINE6 will blow it the dirt.

www.line6.com

Go to their site and you can listen to what these brilliant little gizmos will do for a linear (non tube) amp.

:D

EDIT: Those Eminance look fine too, and you won't be paying for the Celestion name.

I´m more keen on choosing Eminence over Celestion anytime just due to highly different policy of putting out their product info: Celestion´s site is a nice, colourful but commercial booklet with little or no informative value while Eminence has all the specs and thiele/small parameters published in detail. That´s what I call marketing.

The Nike shoe syndrome........

Jensen MOD are great sounding speakers & very inexpensive. The problem few know about this best bargain on the planet is everyone seems to follow a name (or something that sounds cool) like when Nike came on the market. 'Got to have Nike'- BS.

Experiment guys (and gals), you may find a bargain. And, so what if the name (like Jensen MOD) is not full of hype or sounds kind of stupid.

It's true what you say, the problem for me is that because I know so little of speakers, brands, etc. that it will be easy to fall for a rubbish speaker.

In general (clothing, shoes, etc.) I don't buy brand names just for their names. I've found that unbranded items last longer sometimes.

In this case Celesion was suggested, and I happened to fing a less expensive one close to me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.