Subwoofer for guitar?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK. Difficult question...

Depends if the girlfriend(read: government) knows.

It's a bit difficult to say with the rand/dollar conversion.

The reason I'm asking about the sub is because I've seen a 10" sub (cheapo) for R120.00.

I can probably save for a better speaker though.

My budget isn't that big though.

What would you say a average MIS cost. I can tell you then if I can afford one or not.

Sorry for making it difficult to help me.

Wynand.

Wynand said:
Are there any sites you can recomend to look for info on buying MIS's. I don't know the difference between a normal one and a MIS.

Thanks.

Go to this site and then select BASS & GUITAR SPEAKERS to get an idea of what you need. Then determine your power need / budget / application etc.

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

When you determine the power you need to consider that a PA / Musical instrument speaker could be over 9 dB per watt more efficient than a car subwoofer. This means that to get the same volume you need only 1/8 the power (very rough numbers).

Cheers

Yep,

And just grazing the sites a bit... you're lookin at about $50 US as a minimum... I think that is ~300 Rand.

The quasi-chicken makes an excellent point about efficiency. Also, most guitar speakers are meant to run in an open box... so the subwoofer idea is really pretty poor.

A low budget approach might be to consider another type of speaker meant for infinite baffle duty... perhaps an intercom speaker that you would find in a ceiling or wall. Check the impedance though... some of them are whacky.

Wynand said:
So from USSpeaker.com I can get away with a $50-$100 budget.

i.e. R350-R700 rand. excluding shipping.:(

You should be able to find most of these brands in Cape Town. Just hop in to your local music store. Also check out pawnbrokers for second hand speakers (boxes included). Many a struggling musician has parted with pre-loved equipment.

Cheers

Quasi-Chicken??? Is that a goose?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.