Looking for a DIY PA system for my sons Garage Band - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2006, 06:06 PM   #11
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

This Smithereens design that sreten put up seems perfect:

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...ens/index.html

I have no association w/ Parts Express but they offer good prices, good service, and have all the parts you need such as connectors, crosover parts, handles... corner guards....

Bill Fitzmaurice cabinet design may be very good , but very complicated to make comparitively.

For mixer, amp and mics check Craig's List if you have one locally or the free advertising newspapers. Musicians, tend to run out of money a lot, and their stuff goes on sale. Really, equipment like this is in effect owned by a collective of musicians and just circulates around,.....
Places like Guitar Center have 2 and 4 paks of decent dynamic mics like AKG on sale pretty cheap and good enough.. Used stands cetainly a good idea- you can tell if they work!!

MAking an amp for PA is not a good idea unless you have lots of experience...
Old 27th May 2006, 02:09 AM   #12
diyAudio Editor

BUT if I were to make an amp I would use UCD400 modules.
Pretty simple to hook up as they are in fact modules, , very small and light for the power ,give off little heat and probably sound better than your audiophile amp.

search on UCD400 in the "Class D" area. That will keep you busy for a few days

Their home page:
http://www.hypex.nl/

variac

P.S. The Selenium woofer I mentioned that I used was the the previous 15" model of the 12" woofer used in the Smithereens. The specs look very similar. Not dirt cheap, but when you see it you will be amazed by how impressive it is!! And how surprisingly good it sounds!
Old 28th May 2006, 01:48 PM   #13
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 100 watts

100-watts will work in a garage practice setting, but not a nightclub of normal size. Minimum power I recommend is 200-watts per channel & 400-watts per channel will fit future requirements better.

DIY speakers are great way to go & fun to build. One piezo type tweeter that does sound good are CTS/Motorola KSN1142A available at Martin Pro Sound. Use a 20 ohm series resistor or so to match volume with your 10", 12" or 15" full range driver.

I went overboard for a most accurate voice only PA. I use 6 foot high x 16" x 14" cabs. The two cabs have a total of 8x Vifa 8", pair of horn tweeters & pair of Eminence 10".

The mixer is an older DuKane with upgraded Op Amps & new polyproplyene coupling caps. The stock tantalium were not great sounding.

This speaker system is so much more clear & precise for voice compared to our older Yamaha speakers to the point the Yamaha PA speakers does not compare. Of course, I mic drums thru the Yamaha speakers and other general PA duties that might possibly blow the Vifa 8" speaker arrays even though they have a large x-max & rated 100 wattts each.

I have had a responce that some others think I am nuts. The Vifa are not a general PA speaker item (just voice) & eight of these speakers are expensive.
Old 28th May 2006, 09:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 100 watts

Quote:
[i]I have had a responce that some others think I am nuts. The Vifa are not a general PA speaker item (just voice) & eight of these speakers are expensive. [/B]

Yes, I think you're nuts!

But more seriously I think it's a lot of money spent poorly, you're looking for PA performance, NOT HiFi perfomance - for the size of your speakers (at six foot tall) you could get much louder and better units.

As always, it's a struggle between performance, size, weight, and cost - you can't have all four!.
Old 28th May 2006, 10:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Well, you are half right.......

but mabby no so much fun. I do not recommend VIFA 8" cast frame as they are expensive speakers. But, I did buy the eight new Vifa speakers for $100 or about $350 less than retail.
Old 29th May 2006, 01:19 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default I better add.........

High x-max HI-FI speakers are accurate sounding for mid frequencies only at moderate volumes & will not project sound like a true PA driver. Efficiency is down about 5-6 dB as well, thus it requires a lot of HI-FI speakers to perform ok at higher volumes. This is an experiment that works for a narrow application & almost no one uses a seperate system for voice only.
Old 31st May 2006, 03:09 AM   #17
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

And that 6db less efficiency is the same thing as reducing the amplifier power to 1/4 of what it would be. Hifi speakers would be way down my list of recommendations for a home built PA cab. Unless you have gobs of leftover power.

And I respectfully disagree about the piezo. I absolutely hate the sound of piezos. Screechy shrill things. That Moto/CTS piezo motor comes screwed to a number of different dispersal arrangements, but they all sound the same to me. But they are darn cheap and require no crossover. I'll give them that. When I see piezos in a commercial cabinet, it is a guarantee it is the lowest price model available. That is to say, cheap goods.

I'd much rather see a real horn and compression driver.

MArtin does have a good selection of speakers for PA use. Do they sell retail these days? They used to be wholesale only, which is how we do business with them.
Old 31st May 2006, 04:08 AM   #18
diyAudio Editor

These guy have a bigger pro selection than PArtsexpress.com including the PAudio brand mentioned in the cabinet link I gave a while back.

http://www.usspeaker.com/
Old 3rd June 2006, 06:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Martin products- I own an audio business, but do not market PA gear. Wholesale no problem, but never asked about retail sales.

I will follow advice and upgrade to a real horns. My PA HI-FI speakers do need about 300+ watts per channel to put out reasonable volumes. I also believe a dirty amp with severe clipping would blow the tweeters & mids.
Old 17th June 2006, 08:00 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to siqbeatz
Default Guitar Centers Used Cabinet Section

I used to work at GC and a lot of the used stuff can be haggled down to half the tagged amount. Ya see, they follow strict rules. They take in the merchandise and add 25 to 50% to what they paid, in some extreme cases I have seen 75% markup. Some people will sell anything for a rock. Whata ya gonna do..

In any case, I suggest checking for woofers there and if you really want to get deep with it, build your own cabinet. I would just look for a used woofer and enclosure though, but time is money and I have little time.

Hide this!Advertise here!