diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Instruments and Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/)
-   -   Best Op-Amp for audio (guitar) (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/76415-best-op-amp-audio-guitar.html)

LesPaulStandard 24th March 2006 07:23 AM

Best Op-Amp for audio (guitar)
 
I'm looking into building myself a custom mixer matrix for my effects in my effects loop. In short so that I can split the signal, run some series, other paralell, that sort of thing.

I don't really want to add a level adjustment to my signal path, just a simple unity gain mixer.

I'm pretty clueless about electronics, but from what I've gathered an active op-amp circuit for summing signals is preferable, but I've no idea as to which op-amps are preferable for audio.

any ideas ?

cheers
LPS91

Nigel Goodwin 24th March 2006 08:05 AM

Re: Best Op-Amp for audio (guitar)
 
Quote:

Originally posted by LesPaulStandard
I'm looking into building myself a custom mixer matrix for my effects in my effects loop. In short so that I can split the signal, run some series, other paralell, that sort of thing.

I don't really want to add a level adjustment to my signal path, just a simple unity gain mixer.

I'm pretty clueless about electronics, but from what I've gathered an active op-amp circuit for summing signals is preferable, but I've no idea as to which op-amps are preferable for audio.

any ideas ?

cheers
LPS91

That's a VERY undemanding application, any opamp would be fine (even the old 741), but I would suggest a more 'modern' one, a TL071 or TL081 would be more than good enough.

vangelis 24th March 2006 01:18 PM

Re: Best Op-Amp for audio (guitar)
 
Quote:

Originally posted by LesPaulStandard
I'm looking into building myself a custom mixer matrix for my effects in my effects loop. In short so that I can split the signal, run some series, other paralell, that sort of thing.

I don't really want to add a level adjustment to my signal path, just a simple unity gain mixer.

I'm pretty clueless about electronics, but from what I've gathered an active op-amp circuit for summing signals is preferable, but I've no idea as to which op-amps are preferable for audio.

any ideas ?

Hi,

As our friend Nigel Goodwin sad, TL071 (single) or TL072 (double) will work very fine... In my expirience most of j-fet based op-amps will sound great for musical equipment. Of course, you can use, and better, more expensive opamps like LF356, LF357, OPA2604 etc.

regards

LesPaulStandard 24th March 2006 01:34 PM

OK, thanks a lot

I least I know now where to start ;)

cheers
LPS91

joecool85 28th March 2006 03:58 PM

TL072 is going to be one of your best bets. Thats what my dean markley uses as I'm going to be building a similar preamp using the TL072 for my lm3886 guitar amp.

dr f 10th April 2006 12:25 PM

I believe fender use TL072's in their amps. I use TL081's for all my guitar stuff, I personally don't feel you loose or gain anything by using higher Quality op-amps.

Zero Cool 10th April 2006 12:50 PM

The JRC 4558 is hailed by many guitar FX makers as one of the best. The original ones bring very good money.

FX pedals such as the Tube Screamer and various Distortion pedals use this chip.

Is it really the best for guitar? i dont know. but it seems to be very popular.

Nigel Goodwin 10th April 2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zero Cool
The JRC 4558 is hailed by many guitar FX makers as one of the best. The original ones bring very good money.

FX pedals such as the Tube Screamer and various Distortion pedals use this chip.

Is it really the best for guitar? i dont know. but it seems to be very popular.

It's an opamp, and it's CHEAP - that why it's used by manufacturers, not for any supposed sonic qualities.

Zero Cool 10th April 2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nigel Goodwin


It's an opamp, and it's CHEAP - that why it's used by manufacturers, not for any supposed sonic qualities.

Well there are people out there that BELIEVE it has some special sonic qualities. FX pedals that have the 4558 chip will consistantly bring more money then the same versions without. In fact people are buying 4558's and selling them at a substantial markup on ebay in the guitar FX section!

For example, the Tube screamer came in 2 versions. one with a 4558 and one without. the units with will bring near $100 or more and without maybe $25-30.00

Again weather or not it has some special sonic quality is up to the individual user.


Zc

Nigel Goodwin 10th April 2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zero Cool

Well there are people out there that BELIEVE it has some special sonic qualities. FX pedals that have the 4558 chip will consistantly bring more money then the same versions without. In fact people are buying 4558's and selling them at a substantial markup on ebay in the guitar FX section!

There are a lot of gullible people out there, and many of them play guitar :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:25 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2