Burgera Bass Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, Does anybody know where I can find the specs for a Burgera Bass driver, specifically the Burgera Classic Tone Bass Series driver in a Behringer BX600 Bass Amp (Driver model #12B70A8).

I was looking at the cabinent, and it's a ported cabinet with two 1.25 x 5.25 x 0.75" ports. The driver seems to either be peaking way over Xmax or there's tons of port noise or something when I play really low tunes such as songs with a 5 string bass, or especially when I play drop A tuning. I was wondering what the driver specs are so I can at least get an idea of what the driver is capable of. I might just create real ports in the cabinet and bring the tuning down, or I'm even thinking about buying a new 12" driver to replace this one if nothing can be done.

But first things first, I want to know some information about this driver. Can anybody out there help?

-Logan

Here's the label on the back of the magnet

Attachments

• magnet-label.jpg
    magnet-label.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 150
As far as I'm aware the speakers are exclusive to Behringer?, I bought my daughter a BX1200 and it sounds great with her 5 string bass. You have to bear in mind that you're not going to get reproduction of the lowest bass notes from a 12 inch speaker, and in fact not from almost all bass guitar combo's and cabinets you can buy.

Did a gig last Friday, and five bands used her BX1200, sounded great for all of them - but best for her, she's 15 years old and a kick-*** bass player :angel:

I have a feeling that Behringer either makes the Bugera (not Burgera) or has it made for them. In all the literature they refer to Bugera (TM) as if it's their own. There doesn't seem to be any literature available on the net so I'm guessing they 're not trying to sell outside of the cabinet. ie: I couldn't find replacement drivers.

That amp you have is only 60 watts so it may just be that you are overdriving the amp and that's causing what looks like an over excursion especially as you say, on the low notes.

EDIT: I se Nigel posted while I was researching. Seems we guess the same.

Yes, as far as I can tell, they are a Behringer exclusive driver. I've found some information on the interenet about them (at least I think it's about the driver), but it's all in German and Google translator makes a mess of it. No matter what it is, I haven't seen any specs posted of any kind as far as I have found.

I realize that super low output isn't capable with a 12" pro driver, I've even helped look into 15" drivers for a bass cab for a friend and it's hard to find any that will reach the 32 Hz of a B string as it's f3 point. I don't know if I'd ever do any mods to my amp or not, but it's really interesting to know if I could do anything to it.

From what BassBox Pro tells me, with the volume of the enclosure and the area of the ports, it appears to be tuned to nearly 98 Hz!! This just seems absurd for a bass cabinet; does anybody know if I've done something wrong? Internal dimensions are approximately 16.5" x 16.5" x 9" with a 1.25" x 5.75" x 0.75" port. If I extended the ports to 7" long a piece, tuning drops to 58 Hz, and if I blocked up one port entirely, tuning drops to 42 Hz.

Does any of this seem feasable? Since I don't know any specs on the driver I don't know if this will be bad or damaging in any way.

What are you using the amp for?, a 60W bass amp is basically a bedroom practice amp, it's not loud enough to compete with acoustic drums for practice or gigs. The BX1200 is just about enough, even with drums played really hard in a rock/punk gig situation.

I'm presuming you have the 'Ultrabass' turned OFF, it's a pointless feature that will only make it sound rubbish!.

Personally I wouldn't mess about trying to alter it, it's already been designed for a specific job and probably couldn't be improved much? - if altering the ports improves it, then the designers should be sacked!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
What are you using the amp for?, a 60W bass amp is basically a bedroom practice amp, it's not loud enough to compete with acoustic drums for practice or gigs. The BX1200 is just about enough, even with drums played really hard in a rock/punk gig situation.

I'm presuming you have the 'Ultrabass' turned OFF, it's a pointless feature that will only make it sound rubbish!.

Personally I wouldn't mess about trying to alter it, it's already been designed for a specific job and probably couldn't be improved much? - if altering the ports improves it, then the designers should be sacked!.

Hit the nail on the head there. I have it sitting on my bed in the picture actually. Yes it's just a practice amp, but if anything ever came up (very doubtful at my skill level) it's the only amp I have for guitar and bass.

I believe when you say the 'Ultrabass' option you're talking about the shape filter as they call it.... it's the only switchable option as far as I can tell. Sometimes I use it, and sometimes I don't.... it's actually very useful to play with. Between the EQ, the shape filter, and the piezo-bridge pickups on my bass, there are a lot of options available for different tonal charactoristics.

If altering the ports won't change anything, I guess I won't bother with looking into it anymore. Like I said, it was more of a curiosity thing than a practical matter.

However, it still bugs me that it's tuned at almost 100 Hz... it's still the bass region... but at least something in the 50-60 Hz region can convey a feeling of a being a lot lower than it really is....

Oh well... if there's not much I can do about it... I'll leave it alone. Thanks for the advice though.

Sorry, as it's called the 'Ultrabass BX600' I presumed it had the same 'Ultrabass' feature as the BX1200 - which produces sub-octaves, which don't generally work well. But after downloading the instruction manual for the 600, it doesn't have that feature.

As you mention "piezo-bridge pickups on my bass", I'm presuming you're not using an electric bass? - the piezo pickups don't work very well, and are incredibly prone to feedback.

My daughter has a four string semi-acoustic bass (as well as four and five string electrics), and she did an acoustic gig at Christmas with the guitarist from her band - I did the PA, and the feedback problems were TERRIBLE!. I've told therm both, NO MORE ACOUSTIC GIGS!.

From what BassBox Pro tells me, with the volume of the enclosure and the area of the ports, it appears to be tuned to nearly 98 Hz!!

Does this program take the special features of holes and slots used as reflex ports into account ? Their acoustically effective lenght is significantly longer than the actual wall thickness.
OTOH you could tune this cabinet to whatever frequency you want - it would never be able to reproduce even the low E of a bass properly - let alone anything lower !

Regards

Charles

Yes, BassBox Pro takes into account ports, and the port is only 3/4" long... yes, 3/4". I thought it sounded absurd, but from what I've been hearing, maybe it's not. Since most people have pointed out that it'd do no good tune the box lower, I'll probably just leave everything the way it is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.