Kewl!! And a Q about Guitar cables. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2002, 11:44 AM   #11
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Wow, those pictures sure help.

I've got very similar cable, and I need a webcam. It's got no stiffness, though, and no insulation between the center cables (2 of) and the shield apart from the cotton wrap, so it is very soft. I may be able to find something similar.

The problem is that all other similar wire doesn't 'sound' as good as this. Quieter, but somehow harsher...
Old 13th November 2002, 12:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Coax Or Balanced Cable ?....

Sounds like you are using balanced microphone cable - two inner wires (usually red and white) with some kind of packing (cotton, silk or polyester threads) surrounded by a braided screen and outer soft rubber sheath.
If so the usual way to wire this cable is to use the inner 2 wires as signal conductors, and the shield/braid grounded at the amplifier end.

Eric.
Old 13th November 2002, 12:21 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I used to buy relative cheap cables, solder my onw patch clabes tec etc but ..
the plugs would break,
the solderflux would corode the conductor, the thing crackled
make noise
etc etc...

then .. (one smart day) .......

I decided to buy a expensive guitar cable.... (about 30 dollars ?)

that was the last time I needed to buy a cable..... about 2 years ago .. still use it ... still outperforms any cable I have ever owned.. never broke... it is one of those cables with plugs that you can't open, or re-solder.. with heat-shrinking tube around it

Buy one ... I think it is worth the money

gr,
Thijs
Old 13th November 2002, 03:44 PM   #14
bob4 is offline bob4  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Kewl!! And a Q about Guitar cables.

Hi Sangram,

I also solder my own cables, and so far almost all my wiring is "DIY" .
I've never come across any noise trouble with my cables, beside some hum, but that was always about grounding trouble.
In first place of course it depends on how well you solder (OK, I don't think that anyone posting on this forum hasn't at least rudimentary soldering skills ). If you mess it up, i.e. overheat everything, the plug and the wire you use can be damaged (depending on the quality).

Quote:
Originally posted by sangram
I see now that moving the wire around creates crackling...
Can you explain that more precisely (the kind of sound you get, how hard you move the cable etc.). A possible explanation could be that moving the cable causes a short circuit in the plug.

Quote:

I make my own cables, 'cause I think the ones for sale are not worth the money.
I think they still are worth the money, but as it has been said before in many threads: why buy something you can build yourself for less money?

cheers,

bob

PS: there was recently an article about guitar cables in a german musician's mag - was a very interesting read
Old 13th November 2002, 03:50 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quieter, but somehow harsher...
I think in that case that wire must have a lower capacity than the stuff you compared it to......
the capacity somehow influences the resonant frequency of your PU

damn, I'll have to re-read that R-ticle......

greeets,

bob
Old 13th November 2002, 08:02 PM   #16
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Default this confirms what mrfeedback said

this cable from Gotham Audio Cables has that conductive layer
and an inner insulation of PE for mininizing of capacitance

A cable also very well suited as Phono Interconnect,
as a connection between CD-player and Pre-amp, for example

http://www.gotham.ch/gac/datsheet/gac_1.htm

It is called GAC-1
Old 13th November 2002, 09:11 PM   #17
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Check your plugs, make sure they are not shorting out at all, I had this problem with some old guitar lead I had... cut the ends off, resoldered it and now it is fine...

You might want to check the condition of the plugs AND also the sockets they plug into- maybe they are loose/corroded...

It is unlikely the cable itself is at fault!
Old 13th November 2002, 09:40 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The perfect answer, ShiFty!!!!!!!!!!!

reffpect,

bob
Old 14th November 2002, 05:40 AM   #19
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Cool, thanks for all the replies guys.

Due to the time difference I have managed to read all of this this morning, I will go back and re-check.

mrfeedback: I am using exactly that, low-noise balanced microphone cable. I have also managed to get the connections wrong.

I am pretty sure noise is caused by tapping the cable itself, or flexing it. The connections into the plugs are clamped so tight an ant could not urinate into the gap. That I'm sure about. What I'm not sure about is whether the sockets are loose, that I'll check again. I have made about six such cables and though I love the sound the noise is pretty irritating, specially at performance volume levels, they're OK for practice though.

I have however got the connections wrong, so I'll do some resoldering. I've used both the inner wires for the 'hot' and the shield for 'ground', I'll have to separate them. No major problem.

I pride myself on making solder joints that outlast the equipment they're used on , so I doubt my soldering skills (?) are the problem. Anyway the cables are clamped after they are soldered, and there are springs at the end of the plugs to give strain relief. As far as I remember, The problem happens whe the cable is flexed at any point.

tschrama: The cables you get in India are $3 cables (or maybe $5, if you want the extra-long ones) which are not high-quality stuff in the first place. So, I don't know If I can get a good quality cable.

Bob: Do you mean capacitance? The noise I get is by tapping or flexing the wire, and it sounds like that: Like I'm flexing or tapping the wire. Actually, it's kinda hard to describe, but it almost sounds like the crackle of old and dusty LPs. That's the closest I can get.

ShiFtY: Thanks for the advice. I'll triple-check my connections.

halojoy: Thanks. I do not have access to foreign currency so buying stuff from outside my country is still a pipe-dream for me. So Gotham is a little out of the window.
Old 14th November 2002, 05:43 AM   #20
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Default Gotham has some windows in India

"Thanks. I do not have access to foreign currency so buying stuff from outside my country is still a pipe-dream for me. So Gotham is a little out of the window."

India is too big country to be left out.
If you want to reach potential customers
there are a few over there in your neighbourhood.
Sweden has 8 million people.

2 distributors in India are listed at their homepage
I thought you should check it out.
Prices is in Rs, whatever that is?

Of course you have some alternative manufacturers to choose from.

Hide this!Advertise here!