building an electric guitar? :) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2006, 09:52 PM   #1
pinky78 is offline pinky78  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pinky78 Send a message via MSN to pinky78 Send a message via Yahoo to pinky78
Default building an electric guitar? :)

Hi.
Has anyone here ever build an electric guitar by himself (including the pickups)?

Info pls
Old 9th March 2006, 12:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do you mean carving the wood, making the neck etc... or creating an instrument to YOUR specifications from available and or custom parts? Listed below are two excellent souces of parts, instructionsm and materials.

www.warmoth.com

www.stewmac.com
Old 9th March 2006, 01:25 AM   #3
MuaDibb is offline MuaDibb  United States
diyAudio Member

ESP used to make bodies, parts etc. Built a really nice Jazz Bass from their stuff.
Old 9th March 2006, 03:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I build basses. I'm here to tell you that cutting the slots for a fretboard is not for the faint of heart (a couple of thousandths of an inch off and the notes be sharp/flat forever). Learning to make and install a truss rod can slow you down, too.
Unless you have access to serious woodworking equipment, good seasoned wood, and have a practiced pair of hands you'll do better to start with at least a pre-made neck. Once you build the rest of an instrument, you can decide for yourself whether you're ready to tackle the more difficult parts.
On the other hand, if you're looking to buy bolt-together parts, you can whip up an instrument in no time. Stewart MacDonald sells various necks and bodies that you can assemble in whatever combination you please.
Winding your own pickups is relatively easy. The trick is to get the sound you want. If you intend to go active, you can get away with a low output pickup (which, amongst other things, will give you more sustain), but then you're going to need a really clear idea of how the pickup and the circuit (and the instrument) interact in order to give you the final tone.
Can it be done? Yes. Is it easy? No. And if you really, truly build an instrument from scratch it takes months. Fortunately, it's not an all or nothing proposition. If you don't want to build a neck, you can buy one and wind your own pickups...or vice versa.
It will take patience and a willingness to fail in order to learn what works. But the results can be very nice indeed.

Grey
Old 9th March 2006, 12:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I never dreamed of building a guitar from scratch, talk about a time investment!

I found a lot of satisfaction in refinishing/stripping old guitars/basses. That might be a place to start. It takes some time and effort, but yields nice results.
Old 9th March 2006, 01:14 PM   #6
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Building an electric guitar from ready made parts is reasonably possible project.
You can get a unique custom guitar and modify details.

Building an electric guitar and make most of them parts yourself is a very difficult project.
If you want a good guitar.

Buiding an amplified acustic/halfacustic guitar from parts can be nice alternative project.
May be much more difficult to find parts, than for a standard electric guitar.
Old 9th March 2006, 01:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It is not easy, but it very very satisfying.
I make classical guitars, have also made a couple of electrics. It takes time and effort but i am enjoying every moment.

Links to read:
http://tomacorp.com/pickups.html
http://www.cybozone.com/fg/index.html
Old 9th March 2006, 01:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The motherload of musical instrument making links:
http://www.mimf.com/link.htm
Old 9th March 2006, 02:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to DoomPixie
a mate of mine who is a carpenter built a totally awsome b.c.rich style guitar from scrap.. the only things he bought premade were the pickups and the fretboard, body and neck he made himself and he did all the wireing himself. it sounds awsome and is a really nice guitar to play.. I'll see if i can persuade him to come on here at some point..
Owen
Old 17th March 2006, 10:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I build my own bass guitars and pickups, here's my site.

www.geocities.com/philmailloux

Hide this!Advertise here!