DIY Guitar amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2006, 05:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Guitar amp

I know absolutely nothing about guitar amps, and i've never even played a guitar. A buddy of mine said he wanted to build one though and I was like well if it involves an amp, a driver and a box, i'm always in. So I though't I'd just ask and see if anyone has ever done it or knows good sites about it. Thanks.

Bruce
Old 19th February 2006, 07:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have a look at Elliott Sound Products which should be of help, and he even sells PCB's for it!.
Old 1st March 2006, 02:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Check out www.ax84.com for various tube guitar amp designs. I'm about to build the P1 extreme.
Old 2nd March 2006, 02:06 PM   #4
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Most musicians prefer tube type designs (bass players are an exception).

Stay with tubes. Careful of the high voltages required for tubes.
Old 2nd March 2006, 02:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amperex
Most musicians prefer tube type designs (bass players are an exception).
A lot depends what you want, valve/tube amplifiers give the type of distortion some guitarists want - in particular lead guitarists playing heavy metal.

If you want a clean sound, transistor amps are far better.

Valve/tube amps are generally louder though, distorted sound appears louder than a clean sound - and a distorted 30W valve amplifier will appear as loud as a clean 100W transistor amplifier (if not louder?).

Most bass players don't want a distorted sound, so they tend not to use valve amps! - although some still prefer it?.
Old 2nd March 2006, 03:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Another reason bassists tend to prefer solid state amps is we need a lot more power than a guitarist for the same apparent volume down low. A 100W tube amp is heavy enough. Can you imagine the weight of the iron required to hit 500-1,000W? Lugging our cabs around is tough enough.

Many bassists like tube preamps for a little soft edge distortion, but most go for solid state power.

there are many sites offering guitar amp projects. Google is your friend. Duncan amps comes to mind.

For a quick and dirty project, string a couple of opamp gain stages together followed by the straight amplifier of your choice. Use one variable gain stage say 1-10V/v, as your "drive" control with another gain of 5 V/v following. this ought to give enough drive for most amps.

You can add a tone stack of your choice. IIRC, Duncan has a calculator (Google tone+stack+calculator) to offer more flexibility.

Have fun!
Old 4th March 2006, 08:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Some links:
http://www.diyguitaramp.com/tech.html
www.tubesandmore.com
http://myweb.absa.co.za/g.landry/uTube2.htm
http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/index.htm
Old 5th March 2006, 06:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

who said bassists don like tube sound ?! lol , anyone will love tube sound , but ofcourse solidstate for power amp :P
i think it s a very big mistake if u don go for a atleast a tube preamp , i suggest the REAL McTUBE preamp , it s a very simple tube preamp with one 12ax7 ( u can find it in www.tonepad.com ) ,and u can use marshall or fender tone control circuit w a buffer w it , and for driver JUST go for a real guitar driver not any PA driver , check celestion and eminence site for guitar drivers
Old 22nd March 2006, 07:36 AM   #9
gtrmac is offline gtrmac  Japan
diyAudio Member

Check out these websites:

Mojo Musical Supply

Ted Weber

They have kits for the popular tube guitar amps.
Old 22nd March 2006, 08:29 AM   #10
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I think its just a sign of the times, concerts and venues these days are larger. My dad was a drummer for 25 years, so you can say I grew up between pieces of band equipment. And the best bass amps to my ears are the Peavey valve amps. If memeory serves right they are good for a solid 100W. Which coupled with the high sensitivity drivers they used produced oodles of clean bass, the only distortion, was the silly hum much of the old equipment made...

Hide this!Advertise here!