any suggestion for limiter and compressor for a bass guitar ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2006, 08:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default any suggestion for limiter and compressor for a bass guitar ?

hi all
every bass amp has compressor and limiter ...
but i didn t find any good circuit for them .. any circuit ???
Old 26th January 2006, 09:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://sound.westhost.com/project45.htm

http://sound.westhost.com/project92.htm
Old 27th January 2006, 11:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

most of comp/limiter circuit i saw would change the tone of bass cuz they r all designed for guitar ,, and as Rod Elliot mentioned it , his circuits r suitable for guitar and bass ,, and when a fx circuit s suitable for bass and guitar so that s a guitar effect in fact ! ..
unfortunately most circuit was design for guitar or by guitarists ... and most so called bass players use them , and don care bout the change of tones .. but i want my true bass tone ...
any idea ?
and one thing else ... i find lots comp schematics , do they really do the same job as the original comp effects on a bass amp ? like ampeg ?
Old 27th January 2006, 09:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A compressor shouldn't be instrument specific, the only possible difference might be in the attack and decay times (due to the lower frequencies used) - but you probably wouldn't notice the difference. There are plenty of circuits for commercial bass amps on the net (all the Fender ones for a start), you could try examining those?.
Old 27th January 2006, 09:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

the diffrence is in the tonality of the out put ..
i built the ross compressor , and squeezer , they r both reallly great , and so awesome for guitar , but when i plug my bass ( they really sustain the notes ) the output tone becomes diffrent ,
mm i donno how to explain it sorry my english s very bad :P ... the comps will decrease the lower freqs and increase the hi and mid freqs ,, in fact they sustain and compress the freqs of guitar ,, i donno if i can explain my mind well :P ...
one of my friends told me that i can fix it w changin the couplin caps but i donno how and where s the couplin caps i m so new in electronic

Hide this!Advertise here!