Call for Musical Instruments forum board - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2002, 06:07 AM   #11
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob4
Dice: You could first of all open open the board without any sub- categories and wait until there are some threads, and then start splitting it into different sub- cats.
I know that there are at least some musicians on this forum, who might be interested in it...........
Bob4,
this is exaclty what i am going to do. Because the music instrument builders who could vote for such a board are not yet here, we have to lure them to join us.

We have to swallow this new board will be a ghost town for a while. Hass been same case with the Analogue board. Very silent and after i had given up, activity suddenly started.

Subcategories won't work anyway, experience with the Video board has shown this.

Screw clamp: Are you sure you have solid bone between your ears? Just a curious mechanical engineer asking ... and, no, we do not second to apply screw clamps on submissive cats
Old 3rd November 2002, 08:33 AM   #12
remp is offline remp  New Zealand
Account Disabled

Dice45

While interest is building up for this new musical instruments section just a suggestion that a midi player could be a very useful accesory.

One could come to the musical instruments section and choose to play from a range of selected music displaying the sounds of various instruments such as guitar, violin, piano, etc.

Maybe a selection of 10 - 20 sequences and of course people usually have a midi player in their own computer software or can easily download free players.

A further enhancement would be if, when entering this musical instruments section one was greeted by a randomly chosen interlude of the day which played gently in the background.

My pick would be

SCHUBERT, Franz (1797-1828) AUSTRIA
Serenade (arr. for solo guitar by Tran Duc Tai) (12k) (Tran Duc Tai)
From
http://www.classicalguitarmidi.com/s-z.html
Old 3rd November 2002, 12:08 PM   #13
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

I will enthousistically (?) second the idea of a DIY (electronical) music instruments section here at DIYaudio.

I greatly miss a pro / recording section here (ok, there are other forums out there in the net...), I cannot really understand that so many hifi and music lovers do not seem to be very interested in how the music they love so much is actually produced. And this would be a great support to discussions about many subjects in the techique and art of audio reproduction (which is only a part of audio technology of course).
Eye-opening and ear-astonishing garanteed !

Back to the electronic music instruments:

Since the development of the sound recording and reproduction technologies it is possible to incorporate much more to the world of music: Easy access to all kinds of music, even the very exotic ones, gave possibilities of quotations, the incorporation of natural sounds, noises, created a great extension to the musical view of life, and so on.
So the world of musical instruments does not only mean the realm of the creation of sound themselves (like synthesizers maybe), but also all kinds of transformation (from stomp boxes to time controlled filters and complex spatialisation). So I usually consider all parts of the sound studio as instruments myself, from synthesizers to loudspeakers (here in the creative way), from the mixing desk to the outboard gear (and as a composer working with all this items I know what I am talking about).

There are a million ideas, tricks and tweaks with the possibilities of DIY concerning the other side, the "studio side of the audio chain".
And what I like most is that the idea of DIY is no contradiction to the world of the professionals any more: Every idea which leads to some result is valid, unique, maybe genious, at least interesting. That lifts us from consumers (terribly struggling to get the finest detail from messed recordings) to active musicians (sometimes the space on the recording is "just" the application of another simple exciter).

So let the ideas roll.
Klaus
Old 3rd November 2002, 02:19 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

remp,

MIDI is definitely a topic for the music board. Just open a thread, post links to midi files or add them as a downloadble zip file attachment.

Tran Dic Tai is worth a try? Interesting.
Old 4th November 2002, 08:13 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

remp,

just an afterthought, how to use MIDI for making music is a topic for musical instruments board. And in that board, you could tell a MIDI dummy like me how to setup a MIDI player. For instance.
Old 6th November 2002, 06:19 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

bob4,

you just volunteered.
please scan the forum for threads going to be transferred to the new Musical Instruments forum board.

Please email me the list and i will care to get the threads moved.
Old 6th November 2002, 07:11 PM   #17
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

pro recording has been mentioned as well as the point that other websites cover it. What I am interested in is home recording.
Stereophile magazine does a lot of good stuff with just a 2 channel 24/96 A-D card. They claim that it is audiophile quality. So, how about info about using home computers to record live and copy
The simple basics first Also DIY circuits for good A-D , D-A converters. Are the D-A converters the same as what we add to our CD players?Also Mike preamps, mixers, etc.
Later:
sequencing, adjustable synthasizer sounds that can be midi controlled, waveforms edited. All this is very common, I just don't kmow where to start.
Just ideas of what some might be interested in.
Old 6th November 2002, 07:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Mark,
have not yet checked the subtitle of the Musical Instrumnets board but it certainly is meant to harbour those discussions too. Unless we have so much traffic that instruments and recording has to be separated, we keep anything combined dealing with generating and storing audio data.

If you know interesting discussion partners skilled and/or interested in those topics, why not lure them into joining us?
Old 6th November 2002, 09:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Senior Member

Default MUSICIANS

Hi guys,

From what I've seen we must have at least a couple of electric guitar players in the tube category,I even crossed some guy from Indonesia or the Philipines playing in a group called "Krakatau".

There's bound to be others...

Quote:
Are the D-A converters the same as what we add to our CD players?.
The DA convertors as used in the recording industry may be top of the bill but a decent Hi-Fi one would do for sure.
Both perform the same task.

Mics and preamps for these could be as simple or sophisticated as you'ld like.
The pro stuff doesn't excactly come cheap though.
We do have at least one member experienced in that field at:

www.gyraf.dk.

And yet another two Eurocents in the pottie,
Old 6th November 2002, 11:23 PM   #20
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

As always, DIY might get us cheap and good (or maybe not )

A good A to D project would be nice-I haven't found any DIY designs. You can get a decent 2 channel 24/96 A-D PC card for about $250 so it would have to be a simple cheap DIY design to better it. Various mic preamp designs are floating around.

Hey wait! Those Mic capsules that Mr. Linkwitz mentions on his site are about $2 each and he says that if rewired they sound pretty darned good! There are variants of these mics around the web.

I guess I wanna be a frugal recordophile (tm)
Just kidding Planet 10

Hide this!Advertise here!