guitar replacement speaker help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys,

this is my first post and i'm new here. i would like to replace my amp speaker. i have a laney hcm30 with reverb. it's a solid state amp with 10 inches custom driver and have 30W of power. what speaker do you recommend for me. i play metal. also can i use a 50W speaker as a replacement? will it harm my amp? thanks in advance.

I'd be careful trying a 4 ohm speaker, unless you were sure it could take it. If the amp is rated for 8 ohms, say, you can test it with a 4 ohm speaker to see if the amp gets hot, if not, then you are good to go. If the amp is rated for 16 ohms, :eek:I wouldn't use anything less than 8 ohms.

Just curious, what type of transistors does your 30W guitar amp use on the outputs? If the stock ones are small, and you want to run a more robust speaker with less ohms, you could put oversized transistors in place of the old ones. (TO-3P anyone :D )

The Sammi ME range has a reputation for being a real bargain, especially if you are playing with some distortion.

You would be looking for the ME-250B50, which has a 50W nominal rating, or the ME-250B100 which is rated at 100W.

There is also the 40W ME-250B40 which has a double-cone. This increases the high frequency response and I am not sure if this is what you want for guitar. I certainly don't.

Rh÷

The safest bet is to select a speaker that has the same impedance as the stock speaker. Since you have a solid state amplifier do not go under minimum impedance since it will probably put too much stress to the amplifier and eventually break it! Using higher impedance will make your amplifier run colder but it will also mean less output power.

Speaker size is mainly a matter of frequency response: Larger cones can produce lower frequencies than smaller, this also works the opposite way around. If you simply want more volume and headroom i advice to select a speaker with a high SPL rating. SPL ratings will tell more about perceived loudness than the cone size. If your speaker cabinet has room i recommend installing a 12" speaker with a high SPL rating. However, if the cabinet is badly designed or too small it will probably rattle easier.

Cabinet design is something i know very little about but i know that if the speaker cabinet is close backed the speaker characteristics will become more important and there's a risk that some speakers might sound boomy or fart out in it.

You do not hurt your amplifier by running it to a higher wattage speaker. Wattage ratings tell about the speaker´s ability to get rid of heat that might destroy them. Speakers are very unefficient devices and about 95% of your amplifiers output power will be wasted in just heating the voice coil.

And one important thing: Use only Pro-Audio speakers! Why? First of all, they have an internal structure that helps them to dissipate heat more efficiently than regular hifi or car speakers do and the cone movement is not so severe in the outermost regions. These make them more robust to handle large transients or distorted signals (that contain lot of DC to heat up the voice coil). Second, they are designed to roll-off high frequencies which is ideal for guitar amplifiers.

My recommendation is to check Eminence models. They are cheap and Eminence is one of the few manufacturers that present good specs of their products on their website.

Teemu K

wow, thanks for the advice guys. the manual of my amp says that i can connect an external speaker with 4/8 Ohm, so does it mean that i have either 4 or 8 Ohm driver? this is my first time to replace a speaker so please understand my situation. and also, the website of this amp say that it can drive a 4x12 cab. i think it is just a gimmick that is why i don't like to try that idea. thanks.

kevlahnota said:
wow, thanks for the advice guys. the manual of my amp says that i can connect an external speaker with 4/8 Ohm, so does it mean that i have either 4 or 8 Ohm driver? this is my first time to replace a speaker so please understand my situation. and also, the website of this amp say that it can drive a 4x12 cab. i think it is just a gimmick that is why i don't like to try that idea. thanks.

Hmm... i'm not familiar with your amp and how it connects the extra speaker, however, if you want to help yourself do a google search on "speaker impedance" and learn a little. For a musician it's quite good to know a bit about electronics too.

Shavano's article "Basics of wiring speakers" ,
http://colomar.com/Shavano/speaker.html,
is very good reading, as well as other articles on that site.

After you understand the concept of impedance you will also understand why your amp can drive a 4x12" cabinet. Trust me, it's not a gimmick.

Teemu K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.