Studio monitor - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2005, 01:16 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default New NEARFIELD MONITOR

This is what I had in mind. Sorry for the presentation - yes, they are cinderblocks. Not EXACTLY portable at 35lbs each!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg css_fr.jpg (71.2 KB, 557 views)
Old 19th December 2005, 12:12 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

DJNUBZ wrote:

Quote:
and my full-range system currently uses the MANGER BW transducer as a midrange, augmented actively by a low (Volt Radial) and high frequency driver (Scan-Speak Revelator/LCY 130) as *needed.* If I want a *constricted* full-range system that is more revealing than the CSS drivers, I simply mute the low and high drivers and run the MANGERs in full-range.
Do you correct (i.e. EQ) the 800 Hz and 1.6 kHz dips of the Manger ?

Regards

Charles
Old 19th December 2005, 01:07 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default MANGERs

Hello Charles,
Equalization of the Mangers is quite facile, since the driver is time coherent (dare I say, phase accurate?). I adjust these properties within the digital crossover. My only gripe with the Mangers is their strange dispersion properties. You REALLY have to be in the sweet spot! This is NOT the kind of monitor you want for clients that want to "listen in." However, I have also found that the dispersion (high frequency beaming) depends dramatically on the acoustical environment. In a dampened studio control room they are exacerbated.

cheers
b
Old 19th December 2005, 01:33 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I am aware that they are for selfish listeners since I own a pir of them myself, although for domestic listening.

Regarding the notches: How well do you "iron them out" ? I am asking since I want to do this as well. I have some measurements saying that THD is prominent at these notches so I don't want to overdo it.

Regards

Charles
Old 19th December 2005, 01:57 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I try to correct the broad peaks, but leave narrow notches. They are less noticeable to the ear, also according to studies done by Stanley Lipshitz. The Behringer DCX or equivalent is quite well up for this task.

cheers
b.
Old 21st December 2005, 08:09 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

is there really nothing out there that people recommend for DIY studio monitors?
Pro designers are always designing new kits for seas and scanspeak to highlight the company's products.
I have had a few monitors in the past including Dynaudio and Mackie and Alesis. Mostly I find them terrible and to be honest they have a cheap midrange sound with no detail.
Old 21st December 2005, 10:22 PM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

I have a pair of JBL LSR25s I use for monitoring, and they are much better than the usual budget studio monitors. I bought them S/H, and would have been hard pressed to build the equivalent for the same price. Here's the thread I started on them.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:15 AM   #28
kexik is offline kexik  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

men, what are you talking about?
"cheap midrange sound with no detail" ? yes, we are in class of mixing monitors, you NEED to have speakers with this characteristic to get well balanced mix! there is no room for hifi approach! and of course, the question is, what IS detail. many consumer classy hi-end expensive boxes are far from being flat, which fact leads to more "expresive" character, but do we need nicey artificial details in the studio? NO!
"selfish listener"? of course! nearfields have only ONE listener, the engineer! noone else can drive mixing console and no other listener is reqired in the control room...
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:39 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

yeh you're completely right about that.
but the midrange is the one thing that completely changes from monitor to monitor.
I think the best bet is to have a few different types. I have dynaudioBM5 and Mackie 828 - the midrange is completely different on them. 2-4k on the 828s sounds louder than on the BM5s. quite alot aswell. but to me the mixes on dynaudios seem to translate better on other systems.
what I do is try to compensate between them.
I suppose what I want is another pair of speakers which is a bit more inspiring to work with. even if they are not that flat. Tannoy monitor golds and LS3/5as are pretty cool but they are not really flat compared to modern monitors. I have a pair of mint Quad II amps that I would like to use but these do not really work with alot of modern monitors. Any recommendations?
Old 22nd December 2005, 11:22 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"selfish listener"? of course! nearfields have only ONE listener, the engineer! noone else can drive mixing console and no other listener is reqired in the control room...
I think you are refering to me ! What you say is certainly true but bear in mind that we were refering to the Manger and this transducer is not used for monitoring only.
I use to listen to a pair of them at home. So I belong to the group of selfish listeners as well. The sweet-spot of these is quite small but since my SO doesn't know anything about sweet-spot etc she doesn't care at all.

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!