Help With Peavey Bass Cab - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2005, 11:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help With Peavey Bass Cab

Ok I recently upgraded my bass amp from a ****** silvertone amp to an all peavey one. The head is no problem but the speaker cab (4x12) has one, the bottom two speakers hardly move, even at full voulme. At first i thought the speakers werent hooked up, but that wasnt the case, so i put in a heavier wire but still nothin. They still make sound but nothin compared to the top two speakers. if any one has an idea as to y this is happenin that would be great.
Old 2nd November 2005, 11:40 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Eddie,

I had to manually edit your post as you tried to circumvent the spelling auto censor. Please don't do that again. Welcome to the forums.

Cal
Old 3rd November 2005, 03:43 AM   #3
wxn is offline wxn  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Perhaps there is a crossover of some kind. And those speakers simply don't play all frequencies
Old 3rd November 2005, 05:15 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Not usually a crossover in a 4x12.

What cab is it?

Several things come to mind.

If there are two jacks, could this cab be a mono/stereo cab? That means plugging into the mono jacks gets all four speakers, but plugging into the stereo jack works only two of them.

Are all four speakers of the same type and same impedance? If the two speakers are odd, they might not be working for that reason. Someone may have replaced the original speakers with who knows what.

Are all four speakers wired in phase? That means do they all move the same direction together? Plug a cord into the jack, and touch a 9v battery to the other end of the plug. Touch the tip of the plug to one battery terminal, then lower the shaft of the plug dwon to touch the other terminal. This will make the speakers all move a little and make a thump or pop sound. WATCH THE CONES. They should all four move the same way. If one moves the opposite direction, it is wired backwards. Swap the two wires going to it.

While you are checking phase, make sure all four speakers are functioning. When music is playing, the air currents will make dead speakers move. The battery test will check a speaker for function. You can test individual speakers with the battery too.

If those two dead speakers are wired in series, if one of them is open, both of them will go silent. Use the battery to test each one.

Is the wiring correct? Especially with the common series/parallel wiring arrangements, the mess of wires can be confusing, and it may not be correct.
Old 3rd November 2005, 08:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

ok well i dont really know alot about the cab....all i know is that its a 4x12, made in 1982, all the speakers are the same make, im pretty sure there are all 16 ohms and there wired in parallel.

I tried the battery thingy and still that same thing happens, the top two are noticeably moving, while the bottom two (still makein a pop sound)are no movin. I also thought i might be hearing the other two but if you touch the bottom two you can feel movement.
Old 4th November 2005, 02:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

So pull the wires off each speaker and test it individually with a battery. You could just have a couple dead speakers.
Old 4th November 2005, 08:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ya i did that and all the speakers work
Old 5th November 2005, 03:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If all four speakers work individually, but not when in the cab, then the cab is wired wrong.
Old 5th November 2005, 04:41 AM   #9
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

And if it is really easy to connect and disconnect the wires then its even more likely someone messed them up.

We need a photo or a diagram and we'll get you fixed up in no time (maybe!?)
Old 5th November 2005, 06:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

ok well from what i can see the cab is hooked up properly, nothing loose things like that. i drew a pic so show what the wiring is like (ya i know i cant draw) i hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speakers.jpg (26.6 KB, 68 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!