Peavey Schematics - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2005, 01:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peavey Schematics

I have a 1972 Peavey Standard Head, 260 series I'd like very much to repair. I loved its clean crisp sound. Some of the resistors are smoked, and can't read the markings. Anyone know where I can find the schematic? I've emailed the "contact us" and "repair" on the Peavey.com website with no answer. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 6th October 2005, 04:03 AM   #2
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

If it's a valve amp you might be able to figure it out pretty easily, for example most input stages are quie similar, as are some output stages. maybe a photo would help?

failing that you could probably rebuild it in a marshall configuration pretty easily..
Old 6th October 2005, 01:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Peaver Schematics

Thanks for the reply. But it is solid state. I've scanned the circuit board, and trying to draw it out on paper simplified, and maybe figure out the general - I guess topology - is the right word. All 4 power transistors are blown, so I don't want to take a chance and guess at the resistor size. Another fellow musician gave me a phone number for Peavey in Mississippi last evening. It's still early here in Tennessee, USA, so I'm going to try that number today during working hours.

Being one of the cheaper models, I could replace it I guess, it even has the old 2N3055 transistors. But there's just something about the sound of this amp matched up with my 60s Gibson SG that I've not heard with other amps. Just what you get used to I guess. Thanks again for your effort.
Old 7th October 2005, 02:11 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

You can get the schematics from PV alright. Call 601-483-5365 and go to parts. They email them for free and paper copies cost $2.50. I visit the repair forum there daily, but don't recall seeing your post offhand. Generally they are good about responding to support requests.

Note the letters on the foil side of the amp board. The 260 module came in several flavors, 260, 260C, 260D, etc.

In place of the 2N3055s I would suggest MJ15003 as a more reliable choice.

If you have the really old one, there are two driver transistors in TO220s. Original part numbers on them were 430 and 431. The small resistors associated with each of those are 47 ohm. In the emitter leg of the 430 and the collector leg of the 431.
Old 9th October 2005, 03:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Foil Side Numbers

Only lettering/numbers on the foil side are 130W in one area, and HDP-U 6/8/72. It has a lot of NTE parts. In a row, are a Tip 31c, Tip30c, and another Tip31c. Maybe they're not supposed to be, for this application, but the Tip 30 & 31 are not complimentary pairs. Even though it did have a great sound, I have a feeling someone has installed some miss-matched parts. That's the reason I want the schematics so I can put it back factory original. I will take your advice and use the updated transistors though. I believe I have some I got as samples.

I have been in touch with Peavey. They have been real nice, but I've spent a lot of time on hold. Silly me couldn't find the 5 digit serial number, which was on the bottom of the case. so I've got to call back Monday.

Thanks for the reply & advice.
Old 9th October 2005, 03:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default YES Enzo

You are right. In place of the 430 & 431, they have Tip 30 and Tip 31. The burned resistors ARE coming off the collector of the 30, and emitter of the 31. But Tip complimentary pairs are 29/30 and 31/32. It worked good for about a year, but that could eventually make a difference.

Thanks again
Old 11th October 2005, 01:55 AM   #7
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

If you call Peavey or anyone else, avoid calling mid-day since that is when everyone else calls. I call my dealer numbers which I can't give out, but I never wait more than a minute or two. Best time to call is right when they open, about 9AM central time.

1972 260 power amp should be sufficient identification then.

Transistors are SOOO not critical. The factory sub sheet lists both TIP31C and TIP29C as subs for the 430, and TIP30C and 32C for the 431. I doubt they will change the sound of this much one compared to the other. For what it is worth I would always select the higher current one given that choice.

Stay away from the overpriced NTE stuff, since the real parts are cheaper and inevitably a closer match.

Remember that this solid state amp compares the output with the input at the diffy pair or input op amp so it corrects for small gain differences between the push and pull sides.
Old 13th October 2005, 04:55 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Enzo - Mission Accomplished

The Peavey people were very busy, but polite and very helpful. Malinda in the Parts department sent me the schematics via computer at no charge. I got the old timer up and running in no time. I had them in stock, so I replaced the 430c & 431c with Tip 31c & Tip 32c. Replaced the 47 ohm resistors, and installed 4 new 3055s. It sounds great. Can't tell any difference. While I got it open, think I'll put a small slow running fan in the box somewhere, fed by its own power supply. Those 3055s get pretty warm when running a couple 15" speakers. Thanks again for your reply.

Case Closed
Old 13th October 2005, 06:24 AM   #9
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

good to hear a sucess story
Old 19th January 2007, 09:36 AM   #10
amciver is offline amciver  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Peavey 260 Series

Is it possible to get a copy of the 260 series schematic from you. You coud send me an email it to me or fax it to 559-781-2489. Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!