Bass Cab Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2005, 07:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bass Cab Help

I want to build a one 15 bass cab and a 210 cab. I was thinking about using aguilar speakers and their horn.

Are there better speakers for a similar Price?

I need to know how to build a crossover for each?

Should I put the horn in the 210?

I want to make both cabs ported, so what should I tune them to and what size should they be?

Also Please tell me if you have any other suggestions?
Old 20th October 2005, 08:41 PM   #2
dmw is offline dmw  United States
diyAudio Member

I just recommended Avatar Speakers to another poster here. Try this link:

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
Old 23rd October 2005, 06:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Bass cab

I think your speaker choice is very good. The crossover will force you to make a couple of decisions. The "modular" PA speakers that have become popular have a crossover built into one of the cabs. This is a real good thing if you are always going to use them together. There is an amp- in plug on one cab and a crossover output plug to the other cab. Problem there is that you can't use the cab without the crossover in it by itself if it is setup to be run through the other cab. I would put the horn in the 15" cab along with the crossover and the protection for the horn. The 2x12 would be a straight-through cab at this point and the impedence of the whole system would be off when used by itself. Some amps don't care that much about a swap from 4 to 8 ohms but some do. If you put the crossover/protection in the 15" cab with the horn, you can run that cab by itself at, say, 8 ohms and have the 2x12 cab wired for 8 ohms and ready to plug in, dropping your speaker system impedence to 4 ohms. Can your amp play nice with that? Should be printed on the back of the amp or in the manual.
Old 4th November 2005, 07:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'd prefer to use two seperate crossovers and keep the impedence of each around 4 or 8 ohms so I can use them in a variety of setups. I've never built a crossover before and don't really how to so if you have advice on the actual crossover construction and parts to use I'd appreciate it

Hide this!Advertise here!