Randall amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of purchasing a Randall RH50T 50 watt tube head. I'm very interested but I am very concerned about the price(about $500). I'd like to know if their reliable and have the desent quality of most other tube amps that are twice the price. Just tryin' to learn a thing or two! Can anybody help out?

Are you buying it used or new? Randall is a pretty big amp manufacturer, you know. So there is most likely no reliability issues. Have you tried it & liked the sound, or are you just interested because someone else uses it? Personally I wouldn't shell out 10000 Swedish crowns (~1000$) on an amp, or even 5000. When a used JCM800 costs 3000.:D

If you want more info from people who are experienced with all sorts of amplifiers, go to
Harmony Central Amp Forum. , you'll get loads of info/advice/sounclips.

good luck.:)

Valve amps tend to be very reliable. It depends on whether you want to sound like yourself [different] or like everyone else [Marshall etc.].

Try it out and see if you like the combination of yourself, your guitar and the amp. IMHO $500 is not expensive, others may disagree.

thanks

thanks for the tips...no i haven't played through one yet. its just that i'm looking at getting a mesa boogie stiletto duece for my live stuff and i noticed that this new randall has the same EL34 power tubes and 12AX7 preamp tubes. I'm guessing it has the equivalent sound but i don't have a dealer in my area to hear it. Thanks again!

An amp model from one manufacturer having the same type of tubes in it as a model from another manufacturer does not automatically mean it will sound the same.

Example: Fender Twin = 12ax7, 6L6GC
versus Peavey 5150 = 12ax7, 6L6GC.

These two don't sound the same at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.