spanish guitar - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2005, 05:17 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Could you recommend me some mic or maybe this piezo pickup? Im pretty new in this field and i dont know much about recording equipment, something relly cheap but still worth buying coz considering that i have to buy a pro sound card and a preamp(any suggestions about this stuff are welcome too) my budget is already exceeded.
thnx
Old 27th July 2005, 07:28 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Léon The Pro ...something relly cheap but still worth buying...
Well there's the rub - something cheap is often not worth buying
Old 27th July 2005, 05:40 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Leon, it is hard to narrow down a microphone or pickup that will do the job but be inexpensive. Could you narrow it down for us by picking out some models at a local store or where you buy stuff online?
Old 28th July 2005, 12:34 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I was searching M-audio web page as its the only company which i know that manufactures professional recording equipment reasonably priced also available in my neighbourhood
I was thinking about this configuration:
mic:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Pulsar-main.html

preamp: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...uddy-main.html

sound card: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...10LT-main.html

I dont have a lot of experience with pro recording so any responses are welcome also if anyone could suggest me how to deal with the computer noise to get the cleanest sound of my instrument
is it ok if im using a 21dBA cpu fan?
Old 28th July 2005, 04:48 AM   #15
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Well, I hate to give you my opinion because I really don't know that much. I have always liked this box though: (at least on paper- never heard it!)

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...e410-main.html

It is external, which is supposed to be better because the RF interference inside the computer case doesn't affect it,it has 2 mic preamps built in- probably the same circuits as the pre you mentioned, and the firewire interface and single compact box make it great for live recording with a laptop if that is ever a possibility (probably!)

I hope you get more feedback!

Mark
Old 28th July 2005, 12:22 PM   #16
Giaime is offline Giaime  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Giaime
Yeah, M-audio products are great. Go for them, for the price they can't be beat.
Old 28th July 2005, 03:12 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...I dont have a lot of experience with pro recording so any responses are welcome also if anyone could suggest me how to deal with the computer noise to get the cleanest sound of my instrument is it ok if im using a 21dBA cpu fan?
The short answer is probably not - conventional wisdom dictates that a very quiet room is required to get clean acoustic recordings.

If you can hear the CPU fan(s) in your headphones while you are trying to record your guitar then you will not have the cleanest sound.
Old 5th August 2005, 06:21 PM   #18
cm961 is offline cm961  Canada
diyAudio Member

Piezoelectric pickups work well in classical guitars, for live stage. However, they aren't true for sound in a recording environment. You will require a microphone. I have had fairly decent luck with a Samson condensor microphone into a tube preamp (dBx Minipre) and straight into the computer, although I have to set the gain high. My recording room isn't quiet, the computer makes too much noise, but my noise floor is surprisingly low. I've found placing the mic close to the guitar produces too much boom, even with the microphones low-cut filter on, so you need to space it out a bit (half a meter?). As such it picks up more ambient noise and more gain is required. Also the room affects the sound more. I will be putting up sound deadening material very soon and relocating my computer to the adjacent room, with a hole cut in the wall.

Pete
Old 5th August 2005, 08:12 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Micing a guitar

OK, if it is a Classic/Spanish, it ain't got no pickup. My son and I are union road techs and I am the guitar tech when it comes to classics and no-pickuped spanish. My son loaned me a mic that I thought was a real joke but it worked like a dream. I aimed a AudioTechnica shotgun from a video rig at the center of this guy's vocal mike stand and left it about 4 feet away the whole time. I thought that the performer would freak when the pickup-level of his guitar dropped when he backed away from the vocal mic but he didn't. In about a minute he was using his position to raise and lower his "suck" level. Thom Petty kind of thang.
Old 11th August 2005, 04:38 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Try a near field mike. They use them for conference calls. One mike in the middle of the table picks up all callers. Very realistic and natural sounding. Mount it to a 2 ft sq piece of plywood mounted upright and then place this about 3 feet from the guitar. Pipe it into a Presonus TubePre and you'll like what you hear. Don't breath too hard because these mikes pick up everything.

Hide this!Advertise here!