Pickup Wiring, do I need a volume pot? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2005, 05:46 PM   #1
mpm32 is offline mpm32  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pickup Wiring, do I need a volume pot?

When wiring a pickup, do I need to wire in a volume or tone pot? Can I just wire the pickup leads to an input jack?
Old 13th May 2005, 05:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes u can.
I always have the volume at max, and tone control at the flattest position, so I'm going to install a bypass switch just to see if it gets any better, tho I doubt I'll hear a difference.
I figure let the geetar supply the tones, and the amp can do the tweaking.
Old 14th May 2005, 03:59 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can do that. The tone control can be removed, and the volume control is there so you don't have to walk back to the amp and reach over to it during a sond if you want to change the volume. But it doesn't have to be there.
Old 16th May 2005, 01:37 AM   #4
mpm32 is offline mpm32  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your answers.

Now one other quick question, I have a bass PU with a red and a white wire. Which goes to the ring of the input jack and which goes to the ring?
Old 17th May 2005, 03:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you know if it's an active pickup or not? If the pickup is passive it doesn't make a difference, unless your trying to blend two pickups.
For more info see: www.guitarelectronics.com, you can find loads of wiring diagrams there.

regards,

Jarno.

Hide this!Advertise here!