Dodgy amp needs repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys
I have a fender frontman 15watt amp thats giving way too much fuzz. I am not using any effects or pedals just playing the guitar straight through the amp. The fuzz and crackling drowns out most of the actual playing and I was wondering if anyone knew why or if I could fix it myself.:bawling:

These amps are not complex, isolate the problem. COnnect the amp to a different speaker to see if hte speaker was blown. Headphones sound OK? Look for DC offset on the output pins of the op amps, a sign of failure. Got a scope to look at the waveform through the amp? COUld be a bad output amplifier chip.

And of course American amps must be upside down for proper operation in Austalia.

I could well be meaning buzz because I dont much know the difference:) Anyways it makes noise when it isn't supposed to like when a guitar is plugged in but you haven't played on it yet. Its strange because sometimes when you play on it the volume seems to increase itself and the pitch goes into an earpiercing scream. not nice

First check the solder joints of the input jack on the circuit board - it is common for these to crack, and the jack will wobble around.

If you need to replace the jack itself (the original Fender ones aren't that good), you will need one of these :
JYO66.jpg
but a bit of searching does not reveal a supplier in the uk. Cliff Electronics supplies them here in Australia as an Asian import, but Cliff in the uk doesn't seem to. Maybe another uk resident knows of a supplier?

Cheers
Graeme

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.