please help with a beginer question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2005, 07:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ldydrumer
Question please help with a beginer question

I'm begining bass and wanted to know what are the best electric bass that you can get for around a hundred dollars, if they come that cheap? And what are good amps? Please help, I need some good opinions.
Old 12th April 2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Giaime is offline Giaime  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Giaime
At the beginning it just doesn't matter... buy a cheap bass and a used bass amp (don't buy practice amps)... better buy everything used!

After a few time you will decide for yourself what to buy. Do not settle on cosmetics of the basses/amps! those are the things that newbies go after. Just buy something used... and later you'll buy a MusicMan bass and a SVT 8*10 amp...
Old 12th April 2005, 09:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: please help with a beginer question

Quote:
Originally posted by ldydrumer
I'm begining bass and wanted to know what are the best electric bass that you can get for around a hundred dollars, if they come that cheap? And what are good amps? Please help, I need some good opinions.
If your budget is $100, I think you should be looking for a used instrument. If you could find a used instrument at a music store, that would be excellent as they would likely do basic setup for free. An alternative is to try and find a great deal at a pawn shop but leave room in your budget to take it to a guitar tech for a tuneup. Stay away buying new at a retail store! A $100 new instrument likely not stay in tune for more than 0.05 seconds! I know! Look for brands like Ibanez, Fender Squire, Epiphone, i.e. imported, but still made by a reputable marque.
Old 12th April 2005, 11:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Take a look at rondomusic.net

They have good stuff for cheap. Although there will always be a debate over cheap gear, the Rondo stuff seems to hold up to the critique.

That being said, you need to have a good setup like was saide before. Some places charge about $100 for this, so it may be out of your budget. This is very critical for any bass you get, new or used. Hopefully you can find a knowledgable friend that can help you. Any bass will play like a 2X4 if it is not set-up right.

Most of the things you can do yourself by reading information online. The only tricky thing is truss rod adjustment....basically, don't turn it too much too fast.
Old 22nd April 2005, 06:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Beginner bass

Go Rogue! I don't care what people say, they are a VALUE! The cheap 4 and 5 strings they sell leave you to the task of learning instead of earning. Not bad necks, either.
Old 24th April 2005, 04:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Amp suggestion

Forgot to add a preffered bass amp under $200.00. Several of my bass-playing friends and I have the same practice amp by coincidence! Crate BX-25. Incredible value and rugged.

Hide this!Advertise here!