Transformer based audio isolators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Transformer iso is one way to break a ground loop. Guitar has limited freq range, so I have used these in the past. Make sure not to mount jacks on a metal box for it. Or they ground together and the efect is lost. You need a shielded box, but use plastic jacks like Cliff jacks - "MArshall jacks" the ones with the black plastic nut.

Allied 967-2539 preferred choice

Mouser 42TM018 also consider

Go to the Allied Electronics web site and look up the stock number I listed. From there you can view the data sheet. it is just a transformer 1:1 so wire each winding to one of the jacks. Either end can be input or output. It will transfer the signal without direct connection. Mount it in a metal box and ground the box to ONE of the jacks. There is no schematic, just wire each jack across a winding on the tranny.

It can be used wherever you need 1:1 isolation. I would not try to mix with it, and putting two in parallel would probably load things down severely.

For ground loops, you have to determine which gear is offending, then make sure their grounds are not connected togehter. What I use this for is when I have two combo amps sitting side by side, and they hum when a Y cord connects the guitar to both. That Y cord is grounding them together through its shield. So after the Y cord, I insert a tranny in one leg, thus breaking the direct ground path bwteen the amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.