Has anyone built a high end DJ mixer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2004, 02:44 AM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Has anyone built a high end DJ mixer?

I'm just curious if someone has tried this and how it turned out. I am also intrested to find out it anyone has moded any mixers for DJ use.
Old 18th December 2004, 12:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

bump
Old 20th December 2004, 06:42 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Unless you just wanted a project to do, it would seem like it would be a lot easier to just buy a DJ mixer. Used ones are not expensive, and depending on your needs even new ones can be reasonable. Even Radio Shack has a couple on the rack. I think they wanted like $99 for one I saw yesterday.

You can buy more expensive ones like the Rane, and Pioneer makes a couple nice ones. But the basic Numark, Audio Technica, Gemini, MTX and others work for thousands of DJs.

I also work with DJs who use plain old PA mixers and use the PFL for cue or an AUX send.

DJ mixers still usually include phono preamps in case you need them. And the crossfader is much of what makes a DJ mixer different. PA mixers have no phono preamp and no crossfader. If you don't use any vinyl, you don't need the phono preamp.

What is your need here?
Old 20th December 2004, 04:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I am looking for something that could compeate with the Bozak and allen & heath V6 in sound quality without costing the $1500 or $4000.
Old 21st December 2004, 12:30 AM   #5
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I must admit my ignorance. I was not aware that A&H or Bozak made DJ mixers either one. What capabilities do you need for your system? NUmber and types of inputs, types of outputs, crossfader? Assignable Xfader?Ducking? Effects?
Old 21st December 2004, 12:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Those new Xone units from A&H are going to be hard to duplicate for the street prices I've been seeing.

:)ensen.
Old 21st December 2004, 01:25 AM   #7
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

my friends A&H Xone X2 is by far the best 3ch mixer ive ever used..
any ideas how they implement their filters? the levels and everything sound so perfect every time which made me wonder if its a dsp doing it?

as far as building my own dj mixers would go.. ive thought about it, and even have an old phonic 5ch mixer which ive gutted out. i was thinking of building high end stuff inside using the old faders and repainting it all..

still might one day but it would be a lot of work, and im not sure the results would be worth it for the time spent.. i could build a synth instead or something
Old 8th January 2005, 07:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't recommend building one yourself. Getting close to the quality of an A&H would be a damn hard job. For the quality wat is reasonable to reach you'd better just buy one, cause building one yourself won't cost you much less, but will take ages. Check some of the new Numark or Pioneer (i wouldn't recommend Gemini to be hounest) products, they're excellent for the average DJ. Remember, als long as the rest of you're set-up isn't the best of the best, even the best mixer in the world won't change much...
Old 8th January 2005, 01:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Has anyone built a high end DJ mixer?

Quote:
Originally posted by DJNUBZ
I'm just curious if someone has tried this and how it turned out. I am also intrested to find out it anyone has moded any mixers for DJ use.
Yes, i have modified a couple of djmixers and it is usually easy to gain good results since most mixers have a very low quality from start.

Most mixers use cheap opamps like 4558/4559 with a single powerrail so a TL07x or NE5532 and double powerrails give a good boost in sonicquality.
Also, the headroom is usually too low so lowering the gain on the inputs and raising it again at the final output will lower the distortionlevel.
Old 9th January 2005, 07:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Can you give a walk through on this, pictures, more details?

Hide this!Advertise here!