Has anyone built a high end DJ mixer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unless you just wanted a project to do, it would seem like it would be a lot easier to just buy a DJ mixer. Used ones are not expensive, and depending on your needs even new ones can be reasonable. Even Radio Shack has a couple on the rack. I think they wanted like $99 for one I saw yesterday.

You can buy more expensive ones like the Rane, and Pioneer makes a couple nice ones. But the basic Numark, Audio Technica, Gemini, MTX and others work for thousands of DJs.

I also work with DJs who use plain old PA mixers and use the PFL for cue or an AUX send.

DJ mixers still usually include phono preamps in case you need them. And the crossfader is much of what makes a DJ mixer different. PA mixers have no phono preamp and no crossfader. If you don't use any vinyl, you don't need the phono preamp.

What is your need here?

my friends A&H Xone X2 is by far the best 3ch mixer ive ever used..
any ideas how they implement their filters? the levels and everything sound so perfect every time which made me wonder if its a dsp doing it?

as far as building my own dj mixers would go.. ive thought about it, and even have an old phonic 5ch mixer which ive gutted out. i was thinking of building high end stuff inside using the old faders and repainting it all..

still might one day but it would be a lot of work, and im not sure the results would be worth it for the time spent.. i could build a synth instead or something
:smash:

I wouldn't recommend building one yourself. Getting close to the quality of an A&H would be a damn hard job. For the quality wat is reasonable to reach you'd better just buy one, cause building one yourself won't cost you much less, but will take ages. Check some of the new Numark or Pioneer (i wouldn't recommend Gemini to be hounest) products, they're excellent for the average DJ. Remember, als long as the rest of you're set-up isn't the best of the best, even the best mixer in the world won't change much...

DJNUBZ said:
I'm just curious if someone has tried this and how it turned out. I am also intrested to find out it anyone has moded any mixers for DJ use.

Yes, i have modified a couple of djmixers and it is usually easy to gain good results since most mixers have a very low quality from start.

Most mixers use cheap opamps like 4558/4559 with a single powerrail so a TL07x or NE5532 and double powerrails give a good boost in sonicquality.
Also, the headroom is usually too low so lowering the gain on the inputs and raising it again at the final output will lower the distortionlevel.

DJNUBZ said:
Can you give a walk through on this, pictures, more details?

Sorry, no.
It is a simple operation but if you need a walktrough then it is probably too advanced for you.

All you need to do is to open you mixer and find the OPs and then replace them with better ones.It is quite simple, especially if you find a replacement OP that doesnt need a double set of powerrails.

The gainshift isnt necessary if you are going to use it yourself. But i have a rentalcompany so i must prevent all those stupid djs from overloading the mixer.

What mixer do you have?

Re: try finding theese models

holger honda said:
Alot of dj mixers are junk.
Try finding a used Rodec or Soundcraft wich have great build quality and are nice overall units.
I also think the A&H units are nise but they are so big...
HH

I agree on the fact that most djstuff is junk.
But why are people sayng that rodec is good? I have heard that before, but my experience is that rodec is the worst sounding mixer by far.

I dont like those A&H mixers that i have tried, which only is GL2200,3000,4000 and similar PA mixers, not djstuff.

But other good djmixers that i have repaired are Ecler and formulasound.

Kinda starting the process of doing so. Reason? Most DJ mixers available at present are either; utter **** in terms of reliability, far too complicated(too many same colour little knobs for functions more fashionable than needed - typical bells & whistles syndrome), or far too damned expensive and large. Add to that the fact don't implement PFL or Send/Return in any standard way, along with the poor quality audio <sigh>

I've seen inside and repaired far too many 'big name' makes of moxers and other audio kit to be impressed by anyof todays offerings that are reasonably affordable - and how the same "big names" get away with charging what they do for spare parts! Most crossfaders I've seen contain an active part which costs pennies (at the most a uk pound a piece) from from normal component suppliers. Even those much-admired Penny & Giles things on the rails etc etc are only about fifteen uk pounds each! Channel faders cost at the most only 5 uk pounds each for top range types - DJ mixers use the ones that cost pennies. Input switches - max cost of the types usually fitted - again it's pennies. And they charge what - ukp 45 upwards for a fader, ukp 25 upwards for a switch?

I'm planning a very modular approach, using voltage control for faders and crossfader (keeps audio signal away from noise-inducing compenents - and allows use of more reliable mono, rather than stereo. faders. Any components that actually carry audio (ie gain trim pots) will get top quality parts. I want serious reliability along with decent audio quality.

There'll be LOTS more metering and on a "metering bridge" above main mixer panel and angled so eaily visible - with both led-type (dimmable) plus big analog meters too, so levels of both channels & master output are always displayed. All metering in dBs Option to use VU & PPM metering. Plus BIG bright "Signal Clip" leds visually SHOUTING and impossible to ignore - for that all-to-common "DJ-now-deaf-so-can't-hear-distortion-now-clearing-main-dancefloor" scenario.

Balanced audio I/O. EQs external (allows use of simple kills, complex parametrics, whatever's needed.) Inputs will be line-level only - phono preamps to be seperate modules close to record decks.

Panel layout uncluttered. Legends simple & very clear with colour/shape/pictograms legends instead of written words where poss (Pic of headphones, not word ""headphones", swirl getting larger around a knob to show "more" rather than tiny numbers illegible in dark places (ie DJ booths).

Good contrast between inportant controls and panel (no more black on black or pale on pale illegible knob-fields!) Important controls larger than rarely-used controls (ie "Master Out" level knob larger than individual channel gain trim knobs. "Channel PFL" switch larger and different from "Channel Send" Switch. Channel "Balance" control not positioned so as to be mistaken for an EQ or Trim control.

Still working out the overall structure/block diagram - ie what buses/audio signal/control signals are needed. DJ mixers don't usually have enough routing & studio mixers have too much for DJ needs! None of the circuitry needed is rocket-science these days. No esoteric or even very expensive parts needed. The hardest bit to make is probably the front panel metalwork (esp the slots for the faders.)

Xfader will be contact-less - no parts in contact, nothing wears out so everlasting xfader and no crackly probs ever. This is partner's current project. He's still building prototypes and involved in the black-arts of magnetism, coils-of-wire, coil-winding machine, bits of old ferriteetc. Very good so far - scope traces look excellent. Have to perfect DJ-abuse-proof mechanics for same :)

tekno.mage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.