Cloned my second MT2!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2004, 03:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cloned my second MT2!!

After working on this for 2 days, I finally got it all singing.
I just want to add here for those who are planning to embark this project, I have tried many opamps before I finally settled with a combination of JRC4558D and OPA2604.
For the input and gain stage, I used JRC4558. The other remaining opamps are 2604. I found out that the most important sstages is the input and gain, as swapping different type of opamps gives the most dramatic colouring to the sound. Here are the results with other opamps.

some cheap opamps (taken out from commercial gears): This gives the most obvious metal sound, with muddy and heavy bass, sharp thin highs. Not my flavour though

NE5332: a serious contender, it gives the metal sound with a well balanced tone. Very quiet too. However, I found the sound a bit too SS, and lacking the natural warmth.

2132/2134: These opamps are synonymous with warm tube sound. Using 2134 in the circuit makes the MT-2 sound BIT more crunchy, sort of the marshall overdriven sound.

JRC4558D: My favourite. Playing with the tone controls it gives a wide range of metal tones, crunch and almost the 'brown' sound. The tone lacks a bit on the high part (treble).

If anyone plans to build this, I highly recommend using modern opamps over the original japanese opamps. The one I built is very quiet compared to the original pedal, and with quality parts and optimised layout, there are much improvements in clarity. I plan to try TL072 once I can get my hand on it.
Old 4th November 2004, 03:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What's an MT2?
Old 5th November 2004, 07:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to autopilot
brett - boss metal zone, a metal distortion pedal
Old 5th November 2004, 07:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by autopilot
brett - boss metal zone, a metal distortion pedal
Thanks.

If either of you guys has a schematic I'd appreciate it.
Cheers
Old 5th November 2004, 12:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

After building this pedal, I highly recommend to BUY this pedal rather than to build it. It is very very tough, and for the effort I think the price is worth it, unlike other junk distortions out there.

I spent two whole days building, troubleshooting and improvising it. And this is not my first second MT2 project.. Compared to other projects, I can build a TS-808 in half a day.

Anyway, I am having holidays and nothing else to do.

I download the circuit from a website(I cant remember), and copyright issue restricts me from posting it here. Anyone who wants it can email me.

By the way, Im looking for the DS-1 schematic
Old 5th November 2004, 01:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to autopilot
i dont have the schematic, sorry
Old 7th November 2004, 10:39 PM   #7
Banned

Default You built a metal zone without a PCB????

Wow man that seems pretty radical!

No wonder it took you so long. Try getting some free PCB software, it should cut your build time down to literally a couple hours once you get good at the project layouts.

PCB's are actually very easy to make, even if you etch them by hand rather than use chemicals to do it, the easiest way.

CHeck these links for everything you need materials wise. Quite cheap in fact:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...K-5&type=store

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...R-3&type=store

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...-46&type=store

It's that simple. Print it, press it to the PC board, etch it, drill it and insert all your parts. It doesn't get any easier.
The part values are even printed on the board.

Probably would still have taken you a day or two, but there'd of been no trouble shooting needed.
Old 10th November 2004, 01:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Zoom TM-01 cloning?

How about cloning the tri metal from Zoom, are the schematics for it anywhere?
Old 10th November 2004, 04:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wow man that seems pretty radical!

No wonder it took you so long. Try getting some free PCB software, it should cut your build time down to literally a couple hours once you get good at the project layouts.

PCB's are actually very easy to make, even if you etch them by hand rather than use chemicals to do it, the easiest way.
Thanks for the links

Quote:
Probably would still have taken you a day or two, but there'd of been no trouble shooting needed.
I agree in making PCBs, but you need to design them 100% correct. And if you made a mistake, troubleshooting PCBs is really hard to do.
Furthermore, I am not mass-producing those, so the total time to fabricate it still amounts the same.
Old 10th November 2004, 04:53 PM   #10
Banned

Default I have the same worries....

Yeah I haven't designed any PCB's yet either. I'm too reliant on all the ones ppl have given us online.

My worry is the same, designing it wrong.
If you get the right software though, it will test the circuit.

Soooo, it should be rather hard to use that and still screw it up

.....I've started my own PCB's before though. The way they setup that software to work seems like a pain in the butt to me. They need the parts selection to be as simple as Circuit Maker 2000 and just the way it works in general.

Hide this!Advertise here!