What is this guitar part that I need?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I was wondering if anyone here could tell me the guitar part I need. It is some kind of cylindrical metal barrel that is pressed tightly into the wood in holes drilled above the bridge. There are two of these above where the bridge goes at either side.

Inside each barrel is a thread for screwing a screw type thing in. The guitars bridge, when it is fitted rests against the top of these screws.

Here is a picture. What I need to know is what is the correct name for the barrel thing and where can I get them?

http://www.lastnova.f2s.com/misc/IMGP0471.JPG

Guitar bridge

Hello David,

The picture you attached shows a Les Paul style separate bridge and tailpiece. The tailpiece is the part that holds the strings. Bridge is the part with the individual saddles you can slide back and forth (using a screw) to set the intonation. The studs the bridge should be resting on are specific types for this bridge, so unless it is a common "aftermarket" brand like, for instance, Schaller or Allparts I think you are out of luck. Usually big music stores do carry some spares for guitars (like bridges, tuners, nuts, knobs). Below, I've listed some URL's which cater to luthiers.

www.allparts.com
www.lmii.com

look for "Tune-O-Matic" bridges (which was the orginal name Gibson used for this style of bridge).

If it's just the bushings, which you press into the body of the guitar, you're after you could also try to have them made, any ME kind of guy with access to a lathe could make them for you.

Regards,

Jarno.

Ps. Looking at your picture again, I realise that it could very well be some sort of tremolo. Is your guitar equipped with a tremolo? Even so, have a look at the websites mentioned above, they also carry spares for Floyd Rose style and other tremolos.

Re: Guitar bridge

Jarno said:
Hello David,

The picture you attached shows a Les Paul style separate bridge and tailpiece. The tailpiece is the part that holds the strings. Bridge is the part with the individual saddles you can slide back and forth (using a screw) to set the intonation. The studs the bridge should be resting on are specific types for this bridge, so unless it is a common "aftermarket" brand like, for instance, Schaller or Allparts I think you are out of luck. Usually big music stores do carry some spares for guitars (like bridges, tuners, nuts, knobs). Below, I've listed some URL's which cater to luthiers.

www.allparts.com
www.lmii.com

look for "Tune-O-Matic" bridges (which was the orginal name Gibson used for this style of bridge).

If it's just the bushings, which you press into the body of the guitar, you're after you could also try to have them made, any ME kind of guy with access to a lathe could make them for you.

Regards,

Jarno.

Ps. Looking at your picture again, I realise that it could very well be some sort of tremolo. Is your guitar equipped with a tremolo? Even so, have a look at the websites mentioned above, they also carry spares for Floyd Rose style and other tremolos.

Hi thanks for the responses people :)

Jarno, yes its a tremelo, the studs as you call them that screw into the barrels that go in the holes are where the bridge rests and pivots against when you use the wmmy bar. I should have said that the guitar is a Hohner Jazzmaster copy. I'll try the site you mentioned for parts...

Based on what I see, your guitar doesn't need a Tune-o-matic style bridge and tailpiece, it takes a 1 piece Strat-style.
(1) look at the other Hohner guitars http://www.hohnerusa.com/gelectric.htm
(2) the 1st set and 2nd set of holes in your picture look too close together to my eyes to support a separate bridge and stop tailpiece
(3) stop tailpieces accept the string ball ends, there is no through-body hole as in your picture to accomodate the strings feeding through the body.

Hello all,

I can also see now that the studholes are offset from the hole in the front off the body, and since strat type tremolos have an extention on one side where the tremolo handle goes, this would indicate that type of bridge, guess I was not seeing straight last night :drunk: .
Still, getting the parts shouldn't pose to big a problem, no need to scrap this geetar ;) .

Regards,

Jarno.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.