New look on simulating tube distortion! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2004, 08:04 PM   #11
ES335D is offline ES335D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Best solid state guitar amp is

Hi guys,

Try this........ www.bluetoneamps.com

I bought one recently and it ended my search for the best sounding solid state guitar amplifier. No contest. These guys have finally cracked it, it really does behave like a valve amplifier and sounds better than any modern valve amp I've heard. It's FET based but honestly you would think it's loaded with EL34s, it really is that good. And it's a fraction of the price of a Pritchard amp, as well as sounding so much better. Its endorsed by Pete Townshend amongst others!
Old 25th August 2004, 10:38 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Did you read their website... didn't convince me the sligthest bit....
Old 26th August 2004, 11:26 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Eh?

What about the website? What didn't convince you? You'll have to take my word for it until you get the chance to try one yourself, then! I promise you it's the 'real deal'.
Old 26th August 2004, 03:38 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The text on the website isn't exactly inspirering.. it's the same old story you can find everywhere on the web.. and my guess is that they don't wanna tell their secret or haven't got one.. the sound clip doesn't sound that great either... but thanks for the link.. I'll keep that name in my backhead.. and will definitely try one if I happen to see one...

Greetz,
Thijs
Old 26th August 2004, 04:28 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Hi....try talking to them!

Hi, I have spoken to them about the amp in some depth, before I bought one. They have apparently gone for a less sensational approach on purpose. The reviews are very good (bloody brilliant, actually) and the players they've got endorsing the amp speak for themselves, don't they? I first tried it at a music show over here nearly 2 years ago now, and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was 950 then and well out of my price range but when it came down to 499 I had to have one, it really is that good. The sound files don't do it justice at all (sounds out of time to me). Email them and get yourself put on the Blue Tone news letter they send out every month.

I've been playing for a long time now and I really do think they have got the vintage valve tone absolutely nailed - and then some. It really is organic, the sound isn't processed at all and the overall tone is warm, clear and full of 'balls' as someone else has written on another site somewhere!

Try it - I'm sure you'll be as amazed as I was.
Old 7th September 2004, 03:57 AM   #16
Banned

Default I love this place

This is such a great site for sharing information and insight.

I attempted to post on a guitarists site about the truth of being able to build solid states as good and better than tube amps, and I got lynched!

It's slow going but I have a killer tube emulation amp in the works. If all goes right I'll be able to dial in vintage and modern tube tone.

I'm also planning on incorporating a really simple analog cabinet modeling circuit with a whole mess of tones!

I hope to take it to market someday even though I am just a novice. Anyway, once it's finished I'll post the schematic and hopefully you guys will improve upon it for me........actually I'm certain you will!
Old 7th September 2004, 05:32 AM   #17
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

^I will be very interested to see/hear what you come up with if you share your design! -I will def. build it..

For the record, i have heard some spectacular sounding solid state guitar amps (e.g Marshall Park range) that have sounded much much better than some top valve guitar amps (marshall JTM's), but there is something unique about my valve amp that i use now.. overdriving the output stage just sounds so damn ..phat! (Gunn amp)

basically i couldnt scoff at either, if there were two amps in question then an A-B test would determine which i preferred, no matter what they were built from..
Old 7th September 2004, 05:50 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Blue Tone

This Blue Tone amp is the best solid state you'll hear. It is, as you say, 'phat'. It's based on a 50w EL34 filled valve amp and I actually think it sounds better than most modern valve amps. The great thing about it is that you can get a big valve sound out of it at a sensible volume. You can actually take this down to the local pub and crank it up without deafening yourself or anyone else for that matter. As I've said before, what's the point in buying a valve amp (for lots of money) and then ruining the sound by putting a load of solid state pedals in front of it because you can't turn it up loud enough to get the crunch in the first place?
Old 14th October 2004, 06:08 PM   #19
Barre is offline Barre  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Kind of quiet around here,no??

Nothing from Mr.cheecks so far

Anyone else got tube emulating circuits to share?

The one I've posted here is actually a VERY basic look on the soft cliping side

Barre
Old 14th October 2004, 09:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

http://www.montagar.com/~patj/gindex.htm

There are some diode distortion schemes, tube distortion schemes too, and a couple of others.

Hide this!Advertise here!