bass guitar frequency range - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2007, 11:23 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brsanko
not quite ready to tackle building my own amp quite yet(though it is a dream of mine). I think for now I'm going to build the guitar (vintage 30 with open back) and bass speaker cabs and buy the amps. Tubes would be great but I am on a rather limited budget. I hope to do both guitar and bass speakers and amps for about $500 is this possible or reasonable?
I could build it all for that. A small tube amp isn't that expensive. The ones I suggested are 15W and don't need any expensive parts. Best of all, build it in a big box (like a head) and you can use the same poweamp section, with different pre's for bass and geetar.

However, as you're time and budget limited, buy the amps and drivers secondhand; pick the amp well and you'll be able to resell later for little loss. Maybe a small (tube) combo guitar amp you like the sound of, with a clean channel too, and a build a bass cab: use the amp for both Would be the cheapest and simplest option I guess. But I don't buy guitar amps (I build guitar and harp amps), and am in Australia, so no real clue re secondhand prices. I must admit, I have a weakness for Peavey gear.

When you get the guitar amp, try it as is with bass at sensible levels and see how you like it. You might be surprised, esp when mixed with a DI signal. You don't need to close mic it either, sometimes further out into the room will give a lot of warmth and natural (sort of) reverb.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:29 PM   #52
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
Not really time limited. Been dreaming of building tube amps for a long time. done some reading on the subject mostly hifi aplications. maybe this is my time to jump in with both feet and try it. One small problem, I don't know how to solder. Is it difficult to learn? any suggestions.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:43 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brsanko
Not really time limited. Been dreaming of building tube amps for a long time. done some reading on the subject mostly hifi aplications. maybe this is my time to jump in with both feet and try it. One small problem, I don't know how to solder. Is it difficult to learn? any suggestions.
Jump. It's a lot of fun.

I learnt to solder years ago at college. Not sure how to suggest you learn without someone present to show you. It's not hard to learn how to do it passably well.

Perhaps post a thread and ask. There must be a resource for it somewhere
Old 23rd November 2007, 04:00 PM   #54
Twaksak is offline Twaksak  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I recently made a bass amp for a friend bass player.

Solid state with dual power subwoofer amplifiers. Bought speaker locally from a reputable manufacturor. 2 x 15" Hybrid speakers. Measuring Thiele/Small parameters the resonating frequency was measured at 31 HZ in free air using small signal. I build these into a cabinet divided in 2 x 72 liter cabinets. Pre amp using 3 way frequency setting that is quiet when all are turned to 0. Bi amping identical speakers.

The friend is very happy.
Attached Images
File Type: gif end product2.gif (89.0 KB, 413 views)
Old 3rd December 2007, 02:25 PM   #55
htgeek is offline htgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

@elementx: A guitar is an octave below what you posted.

The range of a 24-fret guitar, standard tuning, is 82.4 Hz (E2; low-E string, open) to 1318.5 Hz (E6; high-E string, 24th fret).

Speaking strictly of the fingered notes, of course.
Old 3rd December 2007, 02:58 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Cool bass speakers

Hi, guys, yet another bass plucker,
I've just fitted 2 x 10 inch Eminence Kappa pro drivers to
my Ashdown combo, fab sound and massive power handling , I play through a Korg Pandora into the fx return of the Ashdown to bypass the preamp.
Jules
Old 3rd December 2007, 04:09 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Of interest to any bass player or stage performer with a DIY yen :

" ... Acoustic Speaker Cabinets

Various size cabinets, 1 x 15", 2 x 15", Some bass cabinets--- All Unloaded. Price per cabinet - but will to talk turkey on the lot! Shipping from Florida.

http://www.gearsource.com/products.cfm?pkid=731

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overture Speaker Cabinets

2 x 12", 2 x 15", 2" Horn - Unloaded. Each cabinet is ready to be loaded. All boxes Carpeted and include Wheels. Shipping from Florida.

http://www.gearsource.com/products.cfm?pkid=744 ... "

I get this ad blurb every day in the email. Occasionally these guys have some real deals ...
Old 8th March 2008, 12:38 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to shiverbassist
Default notes

I have been playing in bands since 69... currently am playing thru an acoustic 320B w/ sunn 2/15 (loaded with evm15l) and a 4x10 top cabinet loaded with emmineince guitar speakers(more clarity than 10" woofers) this thing is extremely loud and also great sounding... ive played through ampeg b15 and fender bassman as well as some carvin equipment and a sunn sonaro , a sunn coliseum (twin folded horn 15") and by far the loudest was an old acoustic 4 15... I have found with out exception the tube amps have a far better presence Ie they reproduce the harmonics better...but the solid state amps usually will drown out a tube amp but sound a bit flat.....You see a lot of bands using the ampeg 8 10 cabinet but what you don't see is the subs of the main PA that do most of the bottom end repro..you can forcr the bottome with lots of power and hear some but a 15 " is the best..
biamp sounds the best and the red eye series from carvin is probably the most bit for the buck..
Old 18th March 2008, 10:19 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Default Too much bass frequency

Hi,

Reviewing this thread I would offer the suggestion that the best bass response in an amp is often achieved with less deep bass frequency response. If you achieve true flat response to 30 or 40 hertz on stage, you will likely be displeased with the results.

Most likely, you have heard the lowest octave on stage reproduced with any amplitude. The mighty SVT reproduces virtually _no_ fundamental frequencies, providing strong second harmonics for each bass string instead. Virtually everyone smiles big time when hearing an SVT in full cry for the first time. Of all the available bass rigs, only the old Acoustic 360/370 series reproduced deep bass with any amplitude--through the use of horn-loaded 18-inch speakers.

In real, stage situations less bass is more bass--in terms of what we hear, as opposed to feel. Rolling off the fundamental and getting the second harmonic right is "key." Spending big bucks reproducing 30-40 hertz will cause a lot of rattling, but not produce a big return in "perceived bass." DIY-ers can rest assured that the big amp companies all tried big speaker, big enclosure amps behind the scenes before abandoning them as impractical. They create more problems than solutions onstage.

We will, of course, build away to produce something that isn't commercially available. When we take it up on stage, however, the headaches will begin. This is, of course, just an opinion.

Deluxedoc
Old 18th March 2008, 11:25 PM   #60
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Google Video with search criteria "Solder": http://video.google.com/videosearch?...en&sitesearch=

Search Criteria "Soldering": http://video.google.com/videosearch?...en&sitesearch=

Some repeats.

Next best thing to Brett flying from "Down Under" to show you! I think that is expensive, especially his hourly charge! But just think how nice that amp would be!

Enjoy and good luck!

Regards//Keith

Hide this!Advertise here!