Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2007, 06:46 PM   #41
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
Quote:
Why? It's very low efficiency and the power handling isn't all that great so you're going to need a few to make decent SPL onstage.
I'm building a recording studio, not going to be on stage. Small room don't need massive spls. strictly for recording I will probably do alot of DI bass recording too but it would be nice to provide the option. I know the music I listen to has plenty of information below 50Hz if it isn't coming from the bass where is it coming from? In this situation that I described connected to at least a 50W amp is there any problem with the driver I've selected.
Old 13th November 2007, 06:54 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brsanko
I know the music I listen to has plenty of information below 50Hz if it isn't coming from the bass where is it coming from?
The ear/brain is great at adding in missing fundamentals.

Do you have a guitar amp? If so then mic that up and mix with a DI signal. Often works very well, especially if I'm in a bit of a Lemmy mood.

If you're building a studio (I've built several) there's a million other things to do, so a purely recording bass amp/cab would be about the last thing on my list.
Old 13th November 2007, 08:25 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So are you saying that in most recording environments they don use a bass cab at all? Wouldn't that then require the bass player to wear monioring headphones so he could hear himself play?
Perhaps you've noticed?, people in recording studios often wear headphones?

It's more common to record a bass guitar via DI, so if you do use a cab for letting him hear himself, it's not part of the recording process anyway. Most (almost all?) bass cabs won't reproduce the lowest fundamentals, so you don't need to try and provide one that does.

And like I said before, if you've got a bass player who wants his cab miking up, rather than DI, because he's trying for a particular sound, he's going to want to use HIS (or her) cab, not your's.
Old 13th November 2007, 09:26 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

So what driver (10"or12") do you recomend as the best all around for bass in a recording environment.

Quote:
If you're building a studio (I've built several) there's a million other things to do, so a purely recording bass amp/cab would be about the last thing on my list.
ah..but it is on the list. Trust me I'm doing all sorts of research on all sorts of topics. This just happened to be the one I had some questions on at the moment.
Old 13th November 2007, 09:35 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Another thing I don't understand is if using a hifi speaker with a flat FR for a bass speaker sounds terrible, wouldn't running the bass directly into your console (about as flat as you can get) sound equally bad. Or is the some speacial equalization that is used on basses run DI?
Old 13th November 2007, 09:40 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So what driver (10"or12") do you recomend as the best all around for bass in a recording environment.
I personally wouldn't do a 10 or 12, but would vote for a JBL K140 in 120L ported. An EV EVM15L in a similar sort of box or an EVM12L in something smaller and ported (haven't run numbers on these ones) is another option. None of these are particularly expensive secondhand. The idea would be to make something like an Ampeg B15 type arrangement. Smallish tube amp that can be driven for a bit of distortion and the slightly rounder tone of the 15. Mixed with a DI signal it can make for a very rich combination. SS amps all sound the same to me and won't do enough to change the tone enough to be worthwhile IMNSHO.

Otherwise as was suggested above, use whatever the bass player has and likes. Bassists, esp if someone really wants to mic a cab is likely very conscious of their tone and how to get it.
Old 13th November 2007, 09:45 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

any suggestions for the amp
Old 13th November 2007, 09:58 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Another thing I don't understand is if using a hifi speaker with a flat FR for a bass speaker sounds terrible, wouldn't running the bass directly into your console (about as flat as you can get) sound equally bad. Or is the some speacial equalization that is used on basses run DI?
I've played my bass through lots of hifi speakers and monitors and it sounded OK, I just don't think I'd bother to mic them.
Don't recall trying it as a bass specific cab.
Quote:
any suggestions for the amp
I've been thinking SY's Red Light District amp (search here) could be a cracker though I'd experiment with cathode bias as well and maybe trioding the EL84's.

For a preamp, copy something you like, maybe a couple of different designs as it's very cheap to make it 3 or 4 channels once you have the PSU, case and output iron. A few more tubes and passives don't add much.

Otherwise, I'm quite fond of this cct, with some mods (6EU7 is a 12AX7 with different pinout)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poinz 1.jpg (36.8 KB, 254 views)
Old 13th November 2007, 10:03 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

The Red Light is in here (4.5M .pdf)
http://basaudio.net/pubs/DIYMAG_2006_2.pdf
Old 13th November 2007, 10:04 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

not quite ready to tackle building my own amp quite yet(though it is a dream of mine). I think for now I'm going to build the guitar (vintage 30 with open back) and bass speaker cabs and buy the amps. Tubes would be great but I am on a rather limited budget. I hope to do both guitar and bass speakers and amps for about $500 is this possible or reasonable?

Hide this!Advertise here!