bass guitar frequency range - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2004, 01:20 AM   #11
THC is offline THC  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone ,
I Builded a nice Cab few months ago for my Bass rig .
Mostly because I did not liked what I was trying at the music stores , and because not liking the sound of a tweeter (too harsh).
So I wanted a woofer to deliver all the spectrum of my bass ,a 4 strings normaly tuned (EADG) MusicMan.
Not willing to play with crossovers and to keep the things as simple as possible , I looked for the broader bandwith I could find .
And founded all those quality in this whoofer :
the Eminence B102...usable Bandwidth (FS to -3db) 40Hz-9Kz.
and it stays sweet sounding...finger playing or pop and slap playing.
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:17 AM   #12
Zeleuo is offline Zeleuo  United States
diyAudio Member

The AVERAGE human ear perceives frequencies from 20 to 20,000hz.

Audiophiles hear even more.One right here.

To answer your question correctly it would depend on who you are,& how you hear.

Beyond that even though MOST people donÕt hear below 20hz that doesnÕt mean that frequencies below 20hz arenÕt perceived by even the MOST average person.TheyÕre simply not heard.

A 18hz BagEnd will LITTERLY make most people HURL!!!

IÕm not kidding if youÕre within 20Õ youÕll puke UNCONTROLLABLY.

Although you may not hear below 20 get close enough,& youÕll **** sure FEEL it!

YES FROM A BASS GUITAR
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:55 AM   #13
diyAudio Moderator

Zeleuo, calm down!

Most people can't hear up to 20K, after about 18 or 19 years old, the human ear starts to lose a lot of top end, by the time you're 30 odd, 16-18K is the max.

This is actually used in a simple device to stop teenagers congregating outside areas where they have been troublesome. A speaker produces 20K tones, which most older people can't hear, yet youngsters can perceive, and find subliminally uncomfortable, so they move away from the area. A bit like those ultrasonic pest scarers!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd December 2005, 01:05 PM   #14
kexik is offline kexik  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Zeleuo, calm down!

Most people can't hear up to 20K, after about 18 or 19 years old, the human ear starts to lose a lot of top end, by the time you're 30 odd, 16-18K is the max.
irelevant! even old guys can recognize missing transient signals at 20kHz, although they can hardly hear 10kHz sine from signal generator! human ear is very tricky organ and it's very difficult to cheat...
infos you believe, are coming from digital dark age... that's why we have 192kHz dacs today
Old 22nd December 2005, 02:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kexik
human ear is very tricky organ and it's very difficult to cheat...
The human ear is actually very easy to fool, stereo hi-fi being an ideal example.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd December 2005, 02:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phase_accurate

Modern bass-guitars with roundwound strings definitely generate harmonics above 5 kHz. Only players with bad taste (like guitar players playing a bass every now and then ...... ) don't care about the reproduction of these.

Regards

Charles

As a guitarplayer with bad taste and playing a bass every now and then, I can confirm your findings

Bassguitars do generate harmonics and transients well above 5k. I tried this with a tweeter crossed 5-10khz(ish) , soundwise- snaps became more snappy, got better definition(also to the low notes), you also hear more string noise from changing position on the fretboard.
I also tried a crappy piezo tweet, for some straaange reason it sounded like crap.
Old 12th January 2006, 01:08 PM   #17
Geenius is offline Geenius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Another bass player here! At the moment I am building a new bass-cab. It will use an 18" woofer, a 10" midwoofer and a 1" horn tweeter. I hope to get a frequency response from 40Hz (I play 4 string electric bass and acoustic upright bass) up to 20kHz. I want the speaker to produce an extremely neutral sound so that my double bass will sound like wood and strings, and not just low notes.
Old 13th January 2006, 03:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geenius
Another bass player here! At the moment I am building a new bass-cab. It will use an 18" woofer, a 10" midwoofer and a 1" horn tweeter. I hope to get a frequency response from 40Hz (I play 4 string electric bass and acoustic upright bass) up to 20kHz. I want the speaker to produce an extremely neutral sound so that my double bass will sound like wood and strings, and not just low notes.
...and another bass player reporting on duty,Sir!
I don't want to rain on your parade,but your project is highly probable not to give you the desired results...here's why:
1.A three-way bass cab is a little too much either for bass guitar or double-bass.The existence of a 18'' woofer might ensure a psihical confort but IMHO it's way too big and slow...except if you want that "Acoustic horns" sound of the 70's.For almost every situation,a 15''+2x10'' or a good 2x12'' is OK.
2.I'd not expect "wood & strings" from a 3-way box because you'll need to use some passive filters for the mid and tweeter,wich means different phase responses between the three drivers...hence,more "mud".(...been there,done that....too many times).
3.Are sure you want a heavy,60+ kilos cabinet to haul around?Just think about your back....now maybe you can and are willing to perform such a sport,but look a little farther....when you'll be 50,you'll surely feel all the consequences,being good or bad.
If I were you,I'd go for a good pair of coaxial 12s (as someone already suggested here).In a well-built/proper cab,they perform wonderfully,especially with a double-bass.
...or,go buy a Roland Bass Cube 100 or one of those fancy AER amps!
HTH!
Regards,
Old 13th January 2006, 03:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[i]
This is actually used in a simple device to stop teenagers congregating outside areas where they have been troublesome. A speaker produces 20K tones, which most older people can't hear, yet youngsters can perceive, and find subliminally uncomfortable, so they move away from the area. [/B]
Wow....thanks for the idea...!I have my "clients" in the neighbourhood,so I'll give it a try!
...ummmmm....so,teenagers and rats......

(The only drawback is that I have to go from home when that tweeter starts playing...a 20KHz kills me also,even if I'm 40 now!)
Regards,
Old 16th January 2006, 07:41 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The only drawback is that I have to go from home when that tweeter starts playing...a 20KHz kills me also,even if I'm 40 now
The simple solution would be a remote control !

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!