Need a new output transformer, checkmate 50! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2017, 12:54 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

think im going with the mercury magnetics tweed bandmaster output tranny. its not crazy expensive, and seems like the best i can get!
Old 11th January 2017, 03:20 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'd go with the Fender brand, and use a replacement for any Fender amp that has 2 6L6GT output tubes AND supplies the 8 ohm output winding. I usually buy them from Antique Electronics in AZ. Fenders are less expensive than Hammonds, which are relatively inexpensive. Fender trannies have proved themselves in the field for years. I doubt if anyone would hear a difference or see a reliability difference compared to the Mercuries. I'd also add a 20 ohm 5 watt resistor in series with a 100nF polyprop cap, across the output, at the output connector, so supersonic energy (above the audio frequency range) generated during clipping (overdrive) doesn't cause the output tranny to generate transients that go over 1000 volts, due to the rising impedance of the speaker at those frequencies (for reliability). If the secondary of the transformer is mis-matched (8 ohm tap driving 50 ohms for ex.), the tranny starts to operate as a spark coil. 8 ohm speakers are not 8 ohms at 50kHZ. I've fixed guitar amps where these high voltage transients caused arcing at the tube sockets. This can be the cause of a blown output tranny, blown tubes and their sockets and even potentially a blown speaker.

Hide this!Advertise here!