Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2004, 01:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to guitargully
Default Tube Effects

Hey everyone,
Yesterday I got a tube distortion box from my friend to borrow for a while, well.. it wasnt working and i told him i'd fix it.. so i took it home, found a few loose wires.. etc. and fixed it. I really like the sound of it- it has a nice warm distortion sound with alot of tone, somthing i cant get with the SS effects in my Crate head. Anyone know of some designs i could use to make one? I'd like to use an off-the-shelf transformer.. and no chips.. there's an easy looking design on www.generalguitargadgets.com , but it uses a JRC4558 chip.. i have the feeling that does more work than the tube. The one on that sight uses a regular old 12V transformer.. so it would be nice if i could use somthing similar. Thanks.
Old 8th March 2004, 11:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I assume you are referring to the "tube driver" project. This is nearly identical to the Dean Markley "Overlord" pedal, and this sounds very good. The op-amp is only used as a convenient way of increasing the signal level to the tube - the tube does all the overdrive work. It would be possible to replace the chip with another 12AX7, however it becomes more difficult to fit it in a small space.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!