phono amp to guitar amp pp EL84

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
3VB3Uzz.jpg

...any input is appreciated, turning this into a combo,1x12 Jensen p12q,or 2x12 I have 2..thx

After removing the input selector and its related circuitry I only see one issue. Only one preamp stage. No opportunity for potential preamp clipping and probably no output clipping. I guess you could VVR the output tubes for low volume output clipping potential. If you want a clean amp then there's no issue. A friend has an old Ampeg Mercury with a somewhat similar setup and it sounds very nice.

What direction do you want to take this?
Keep the amp as much as it is, take just the transformers and construct something from scratch or something in between?
The transformers from this amp should allow you to build a clone of an AC15, 18W Marshall or even a Fender deluxe (using 6V6s instead of the EL84s).
The switch to 6V6s even allows for more preamp tubes as they draw less heater current.

Just wanted to point out an opposing point of view. Nothing wrong with it the way it is. A 6AU6 driving a 12AX7 LTP driving EL84 finals. What's not to like? A 6AU6 in pentode followed by a 12AX7 is a huge amount of gain for an EL84, which needs about 8V to hit clipping. It's good the way it is.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input..all very good paths to take.I do want to keep the lineup of tubes,and voice of music never skimps on brands of tubes..Millard amperex,bugle boy rectifier..changed the cord to a three prong and swapped out the caps...mad hum at first clean now..after some more grunt from this thing..thanks

Look at this schematic to get some ideas.
Prowess Amplifiers - Orange - Schematics - Tiny Terror

Put a gain pot after the 6AU6 (ordinary single gang log taper pot), note that you need to add DC blocking caps.
And put volume and tone comntrols as post phase inveter controls as per the TT schematic.

That is what would do but plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Cheers,
Ian
500k gain pot across R4?since I am a rookie could you give me a little more detail on specifics, I have the input isolated from the chassis with a 68k resistor, all useless plug ins removed,3 prong cord,speaker jack,basically just need volume and tone and gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.