Transformer ratings Comparison for 5e3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone help me understand the ratings of transformers for the 5e3 deluxe?
one PT is rated 384-0-384 @75ma
while another is rated 396v @ 100ma

how does the difference in ma factor into the rating?

Bonus question:
Some transformers for the 5e3 are rated at 15w and some at 20w....and I noticed that amplifier schematics never have transformer ratings on them. Why don't they print the values of the transformers on the scematic?

Both seem pretty high voltage for a 5E3. The mA need to be enough to give you the power you want and run the amp. A higher voltage with a lower mA can put out the same as a low voltage with a higher mA. E*I = W

5E3's can run around 360V dc. The amp will put out 12-15W depending on how you want to rate it. Run it at a higher voltage may give you a little more power (using the right transformer) but it starts to sound like a different amp by that time. What values do you want on the schematic?

Because when Fender made the amp, they used their own transformer of such and such part number, let's just say 12345. If a technician needed a new transformer for it, they simply called Fender and ordered a new 12345. There was no need to print out all the specifications. Some schematics have some voltages on them as references for troubleshooting.

However, places like www.tubesandmore.com that sell replacement transformers usually do list specs on them.

384v and even moreso the 396v sound awfully high for a Deluxe.

Ceriatone's version gives 325-0-325 for the AC out of the power tranny. This would be consistent with the actual voltage in a Deluxe.

Usually more power will translate to a cleaner sound because to have this amp put out more power, you would have to step up the voltages most likely. This would result in a cleaner sound before distortion. This is generally speaking. There are other ways to create more gain but generally you want higher voltages to the tubes.

Short answer, no.

Stick to a tried and true design which has been working very well for the last b50 years.

If you want higher power, cleaner headroom, more bass, fine, but then search for another project which matches your needs better; building the original circuit with improperly high voltage will "improve" nothing and probably damage it.

I am trying to stick to the original circuit, that was my goal all along. I bought a transformer that was supposedly a clone of an original 1955 triad from a deluxe. And that transformer is rated at 396v @ 100ma. It seems high to me and I'm just trying to figure out what effect it's going to have before I put it in. But being able to play my low E string without the speaker farting out would not be a bad thing if that effect is going to take place from more power.

This discussion is about the power supply, but I think you are assuming that your farting out is completely a matter of power. If that is the problem you are trying to solve, then you first need to find out WHERE the farting is coming from. Is the speaker being over driven? Are you encountering grid blocking? Are you clipping in the phase inverter? And so on.

With power transformers .... Watt, VA rating is based on temperature rise...
The copper and the core losses will raise the transformer temperature from ambient..
In the old days there were standards for Class A transformers, typically 40C temp rise above ambient...This where I also typically deign my transformers at full load....
Today marketing clowns are in control more so than the engineers... They will rate the transformers power levels wherever they seem fit...in some cases the power transformers are running so hot they are warping the control panels...
Next time you order a transformer make sure to ask what the temperature rise is for the power rating of the transformer, if they can't answer the question, chances something is not right...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.