Checking 6v6 tubes for damage? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2016, 08:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Checking 6v6 tubes for damage?

Quick background:

Installed a Weber copper cap (rectifier) and a VVR kit in my 18 watt derived head.

Turned all switches on and measured a B+ that went from 30-ish to 230-ish. Seems good.

Put everything back together, plugged the speaker cable in (key to my question right here) and this time when I turned it on I blew a fuse.

That's when it hit me. I had turned it on without any load.

But I only measured voltages real quick and turned it off. I did not plug in a guitar.

Now I need to know why the fuse blew and I need to know if I damaged the output tubes.

For the fuse - I'm thinking maybe it was simply a matter of bowing down to the extra load from two new devices. I had honestly never specced out the proper size in the first place. The fuse that blew is on the line side of the PT, rated 250v and 1 amp.

But what do I need to do about those tubes?
Old 8th January 2016, 10:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
6V6 valves are fairly rugged and unless a high signal is passed through them with no load, they will be fine. Is your mains input fuse anti surge? It needs to be and probably 1.5A Time delay type.
Old 9th January 2016, 12:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Great help! I felt more confident about simply changing the fuse, and that (it appears) was the entire issue. I just played a few minutes and I LOVE my VVR and my Copper Cap.

Hide this!Advertise here!