remote volume for FX loop? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2004, 02:50 PM   #1
Keithm is offline Keithm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default remote volume for FX loop?

Hi. I want to control the volume of a guitar amp by putting a volume pedal between the send and return of it's FX loop. This works but the signal is travelling down a long cable to the volume pedal and back again. It would be better if I could put a device between the send and return (like a digital pot - but not motorised) and control it remotely via a cable. I have seen one chip that can do this but it uses step switches to raise or lower the volume - this would be too slow, I would rather control it with a volume pedal (pot in a box!). So has anyone any ideas how I could do this.

I had thought of using a photoelectric cell and a light source, and controlling the light source remotley but that might burn out the pot in the volume pedal!
Old 17th February 2004, 04:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: remote volume for FX loop?

Quote:
Originally posted by Keithm
This works but the signal is travelling down a long cable to the volume pedal and back again. It would be better if I could put a device between the send and return (like a digital pot - but not motorised) and control it remotely via a cable.
I am not sure if your issue is with signal loss or noise pickup, as the amp should be taking care of both in the buffer circuit for the effects loop. However, one possibility is to do what better volume pedals do, and instead of passively cutting volume with a pot, they actively cut it by making the pot the feedback resistor of an op amp stage. This way you can just re-use your existing volume pedal too.
Old 17th February 2004, 10:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to guitargully
build a booster. here's a link with quite alot of versions: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...=page&SubMenu= i saw one with one gain/volume pot that would probablly work well with a pedal. check em out, and if you decide to build one, let us know how it works. One prob i just thought of.. that will lower your guitar signal if your not using external effects.. which means the overdrive wont be as great if you're using the amps distortoin (u use distortion right? lol) If you were using external effects you could stick the booster at the end and that would be fine.. i just dunno now how to do it using the amps effects. any thoughts? or run a cable off the amps volume/gain pot and make a pedal with just a pot
Old 18th February 2004, 09:27 AM   #4
Keithm is offline Keithm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Cool site - cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!